Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

all I can say is "amazing"

36 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Does the screw on that vise look out of proportion to anyone else? It's a nice vise; but I've owned 4 powerhammers that individually cost less (and 3 of the four totally cost less!)

Posted · Report post

All the more power to Machless if they can pull it off. The person who bought it likely had plenty of expendable cash,or he's a danged fool. In any case deals like this make my vices and other BS tools worth more and that's ok by me.

Posted · Report post

that is a monster vice!! the price is a bit more than i could go for but if you wanted a truly monster vice and had the bucks.......its not a common post vice by any stretch....its obviously worth it to someone!!

Posted · Report post

Nice - but I can think of better things to blow my cash on.

Posted · Report post

Probably went to a collector. hack spit!

Posted · Report post

The amazing thing to me isn't so much that someone was willing to pay that. I guess if you've got the money it is fun to spend it. I was more impressed that someone was bidding against them. In fact, there were four bidders over $500.

Posted · Report post

Yes its a lot of money and as said there are vary few 8" vices on the market. Even if the screw was a little small it is probably original to the vise, you can look at the box and see that the box is a close fit to the eye of the back leg. I sure would have liked it, but I am poor and in college. But at the end of the day if someone hired me to make one I would charge more than 1500.

Posted · Report post

Hey Mac, I think we could get $5000 FOR A 12"

Posted · Report post

Maybe, I am off for a week starting tomorrow. Do you have any more of that 4" Sq, it would make a nice vise.

Posted · Report post

I guess that will have to do

Posted · Report post

I want pictures of this.

Phil

Posted · Report post

I don't understand how matchless gets these prices. I've watched alot of their auctions and everything goes for premium prices. Good for him I guess!

Posted · Report post

I don't understand how matchless gets these prices. I've watched alot of their auctions and everything goes for premium prices. Good for him I guess!

He get the premium price cause he has the premium product! Everything had lists is top of the line stuff. I would like to know where he comes up with all the anvils, vises, cone mandrels, swage blocks and on and on and in such wonderful condition. I agree, good for him. but I think much of his stuff is ending up in a collection not to be used and that in my opinion is a shame...

Posted · Report post

mmm I have a 9" post vise.... The matchless guy at one point offered me $1250 for it and I didnt want to sell it.... Later when I contacted him and said I would sell it he had lost interest... maybe because he found this monster 8"? I also have a 8" but its not quite as big as the one he sold..

Posted · Report post

Don't think that all this stuff is found in as immaculate condition as it looks, he does a fair share of cleanup to most everything.

Posted · Report post

wit hprices like that, how do we know it isnt some sort o laundering?.......

Posted · Report post

come on.... That price is not that out of sight.... Big vises often fetch $800-$1000 and its reasonable to think that a 270lb vise would fetch $1500 if someone wanted either as a show piece or even a work horse..... Just think what I would cost to build that vise new... Heck a new 8" Wilton 800S Machinest vise retails for over $4000.00

Posted · Report post

Everything he sells is clean, well photographed, well presented and properly described. He has built up a brand over the years. I could sell the same exact thing on Ebay and I would get 20% to 30% less. People are willing to pay a premium price for what they perceive as a superior product. It happens all the time why do people pay 3 bucks for a brand name when the generic is $1.79 for the same exact product.

Posted · Report post

I think a lot of his stuff goes to the collector types, rather than the end user, and we all know the tool collectors will pay a lot more than a cheap XXXXXXXXXXXX  like me. Someone once told me that he goes to England and buys stuff-fills a container. How true-who knows.

Posted · Report post

I have given Matchless some leads on tools in the past........some stuff is just too far for me to travel to acquire

Posted · Report post

I think a lot of his stuff goes to the collector types, rather than the end user, and we all know the tool collectors will pay a lot more than a cheap XXXXXXXX  like me. Someone once told me that he goes to England and buys stuff-fills a container. How true-who knows.

Steve buys a lot on EBAY-UK and other European sites. He has the material collected and stored till he get there a few times a year. Fills containers that end up about 20 miles from him in Michigan at a trucking terminal. Prices in England are much cheaper than here. That is how he can justify the shipping expenses and work to get the material here.

Posted · Report post

Forgot to add-he has a lot of really nice stuff-I drool every time I check out his stuff-brings out the true tool addict in me :lol: . Someday he'll have something I gotta have. The other part of tool pricing is (for me anyway) if it makes me money, the price is pretty much moot.