I Forge Iron

Anvil prices

A couple of years ago I took a blacksmith class from a guy down in Paint Lick, Ky who told me that an anvil should cost $1 to $2 per pound. When I got back home I couldn't find an anvil for that price anywhere. Those prices were probably true 30 years ago when he bought his own anvils.

Have you attended a SOFA meeting and asked about any anvils for sale?

We had a fellow here in New Mexico who finally made it out to OH for a Quad-State Blacksmith's Round Up and bought *30* anvils and a trailer to get them back here anvils in OH being much cheaper and easier to find than here in NM.

Next if you want to buy cheap; looking where folks are trying to sell for a profit is not as good as finding the neighbor who has one sitting in a garage, basement or shed doing nothing and would be happy to turn it loose reasonable.

So start by asking *everyone* you associate with---I found one at our church where the retired fellow wanted to just give it to me! When I go to a fleamarket I ask folk selling old barn junk if there is an anvil they left back at the barn as it was too heavy to drag to a fleamarket. Actually I ask everyone I meet at a fleamarket, my 515# Fisher in mint condition for $350 came from talking with a fellow selling greasy old car parts---His Uncle had the anvil and I bought it later that day.

If you are not willing to talk with folks and *hunt* then you must accept that you will pay more.

Either way you need to learn "what makes a good anvil" "what makes a good anvil bad" and what makes a bad anvil. Lots of folks are happy to sell you an ASO (anvil shaped object) for a real anvil price.

also learn the CWT weight system and when an anvil is marked in it and not in pounds: you can sometimes get a deal if a person doesn't know about CWT and wants to sell you that PW marked 111 as 111 pounds and not 141 pounds. OTOH a lot of folks will try to sell you that HB or Trenton marked 111 telling you it's 141 pounds and at $2 a pound gouging you for $60 because US anvils were marked in pounds not CWT

I know i sold a 80lb fisher for about 1.25 a lb to someone that was starting out
first person i "tried" to sell it to would have had it for $1 a lb but they never came back for it so some one ells got it
anyways my thought is sell things to people at a price they can afford and hope someone ells will do the same for you

I attended the Quad State Round Up in 2010. I looked around and saw a lot of good anvils but never pulled the trigger. I'm a member of SOFA but haven't made it out to a meeting yet. I really need to take classes so I know what I'm doing. I took a blacksmith class in Paint Lick, KY by a Welch Chair Bodger named Don Weber. He's an awesome guy but haven't made it back down due to work and finicial limitations. I think I would take more classes if they were closer to me. I know SOFA has classes in Troy but that's still an hour and a half away.

That Fisher anvil in Kentucky is a very very good price and you should jump on it! If I was closer, or working right now, I would jump on it in a skinny minute. Heck, buy it for $2/lb and you can turn around and sell it to someone else in a year or two for $3/lb without any trouble at all. Good quality large anvils are not easy to come by.

A lot of the price depends on what you need. I have a small anvil, only 120#, and it's more than enough for a hobbyist that isn't planning on doing much with heavy stock, or planning to move in a year or so. A bigger anvil is usually better, but not so much that a beginner necessarily wants to shell five or six bills. That's a heck of investment for a hobby start-up.

If it has good rebound, good ring, and is a size you are comfortable with, look for something around $2/lb. Cheaper is better, but something that's in mint condition might be worth $3/lb or more if it's what you want and you have the expendable capital.

I spent 15 years in Columbus Ohio; we used to carpool 2 hours to SOFA meetings, stopping at a county fairgrounds fleamarket on the way for "pie and postvises".

Carpooling cuts way down on gas prices and a bunch of blacksmiths in a car makes the drive go faster save for the stops for road kill iron...

Also worth remembering is that people list things on craigslist for a price normally expecting someone to offer them less.

http://bham.craigslist.org/atq/2835407165.html So thats an anvil we have for sale. I'm asking $250 because I'm expecting to be offered less. If it was a smith that was going to use it and not someone looking to resale it, I would take considerably less. It all depends on the "vibe" I get from the person interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I was out hitting flea markets this morning and crossed paths with a 204-pound Hay-Budden farriers' anvil. It was at a tool dealers booth. I passed at $2500. The owner looked mad when I told him I already had one that I paid $300 for. Like all deals, looking longer can save you some real money. I,ll tell the gang at the next FABA meeting about it but I think a working smith would pass over it. I hope that he crosses paths with a rich collector.

The last time I visited the same dealer, he sold me what he called a “Fisher anvil” for $50, it was actually a 70-pound Kohlswa. Even with dealers, prices go all over the place.