17 replies to this topic

#1 mvflaim

mvflaim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

What's a fair price for a 100-150lb anvil? I've been in the market for awhile now and have never pulled the trigger because I really didn't know what I should pay for one.

Thanks
Mike
www.mvflaim.com

#2 Ridgewayforge

Ridgewayforge

Confused, mostly

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • LocationFrederick, MD

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

Well, brand new they're about $4 or more per pound. So for a used one, depending on the condition, $2 is a steal. $3 is a bit pricey. So, check out the anvil, make sure the face is smooth. Just browse the anvil section for more info.

My Blog!

#3 mvflaim

mvflaim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

Thanks, I've seen them for about $300 on craigslist from time to time in my area. I'm always hoping to steal one for $200 but I'm sure you could get that for it at a scrapyard. When I buy one, I'll make sure the face is clean.
www.mvflaim.com

#4 stuarthesmith

stuarthesmith

Professional Blacksmith

• Members
  • 2,594 posts
  • LocationMontrose, PA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

for a nice anvil, 3 bucks a pound is a good deal..........................for some perfect high end anvils, 10 dollars a pound is a fair price.................all depends on the anvil itself and the depth of your pockets
when faced with a doubting thomas, whip out a digital camera! http://snakecreekforge.weebly.com/

#5 mvflaim

mvflaim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

A couple of years ago I took a blacksmith class from a guy down in Paint Lick, Ky who told me that an anvil should cost $1 to $2 per pound. When I got back home I couldn't find an anvil for that price anywhere. Those prices were probably true 30 years ago when he bought his own anvils.
www.mvflaim.com

#6 Tom Allyn

Tom Allyn

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMaple Valley, WA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

Craigslist has gotten whacky lately. People are asking at least $4/lb for even the crummiest anvils. It's insane. There are a couple here in my area that have been listed at those prices for months. Not surprisingly no one has jumped on them.

#7 mvflaim

mvflaim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

This one has been available for six months in my area. http://cincinnati.cr...2861951113.html

At $2/lb I guess it would be a good deal but it's out of my budget.

Then there's this one http://cincinnati.cr...2856304919.html

No thanks
www.mvflaim.com

#8 ThomasPowers

ThomasPowers

Senior Moment Member; Master Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 17,373 posts
  • LocationCentral NM/El Paso TX Area, USA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

Have you attended a SOFA meeting and asked about any anvils for sale?

We had a fellow here in New Mexico who finally made it out to OH for a Quad-State Blacksmith's Round Up and bought *30* anvils and a trailer to get them back here anvils in OH being much cheaper and easier to find than here in NM.

Next if you want to buy cheap; looking where folks are trying to sell for a profit is not as good as finding the neighbor who has one sitting in a garage, basement or shed doing nothing and would be happy to turn it loose reasonable.

So start by asking *everyone* you associate with---I found one at our church where the retired fellow wanted to just give it to me! When I go to a fleamarket I ask folk selling old barn junk if there is an anvil they left back at the barn as it was too heavy to drag to a fleamarket. Actually I ask everyone I meet at a fleamarket, my 515# Fisher in mint condition for $350 came from talking with a fellow selling greasy old car parts---His Uncle had the anvil and I bought it later that day.

If you are not willing to talk with folks and *hunt* then you must accept that you will pay more.

Either way you need to learn "what makes a good anvil" "what makes a good anvil bad" and what makes a bad anvil. Lots of folks are happy to sell you an ASO (anvil shaped object) for a real anvil price.

also learn the CWT weight system and when an anvil is marked in it and not in pounds: you can sometimes get a deal if a person doesn't know about CWT and wants to sell you that PW marked 111 as 111 pounds and not 141 pounds. OTOH a lot of folks will try to sell you that HB or Trenton marked 111 telling you it's 141 pounds and at $2 a pound gouging you for $60 because US anvils were marked in pounds not CWT
Thomas Psychotic Psychobabblonian Powers

#9 Bigred1o1

Bigred1o1

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationNorthern VT USA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

I know i sold a 80lb fisher for about 1.25 a lb to someone that was starting out
first person i "tried" to sell it to would have had it for $1 a lb but they never came back for it so some one ells got it
anyways my thought is sell things to people at a price they can afford and hope someone ells will do the same for you

When in doubt make something

#10 mvflaim

mvflaim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

I attended the Quad State Round Up in 2010. I looked around and saw a lot of good anvils but never pulled the trigger. I'm a member of SOFA but haven't made it out to a meeting yet. I really need to take classes so I know what I'm doing. I took a blacksmith class in Paint Lick, KY by a Welch Chair Bodger named Don Weber. He's an awesome guy but haven't made it back down due to work and finicial limitations. I think I would take more classes if they were closer to me. I know SOFA has classes in Troy but that's still an hour and a half away.
www.mvflaim.com

#11 VaughnT

VaughnT

• Members
  • 2,296 posts
  • LocationNorthwest SC

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

That Fisher anvil in Kentucky is a very very good price and you should jump on it! If I was closer, or working right now, I would jump on it in a skinny minute. Heck, buy it for $2/lb and you can turn around and sell it to someone else in a year or two for $3/lb without any trouble at all. Good quality large anvils are not easy to come by.

A lot of the price depends on what you need. I have a small anvil, only 120#, and it's more than enough for a hobbyist that isn't planning on doing much with heavy stock, or planning to move in a year or so. A bigger anvil is usually better, but not so much that a beginner necessarily wants to shell five or six bills. That's a heck of investment for a hobby start-up.

If it has good rebound, good ring, and is a size you are comfortable with, look for something around $2/lb. Cheaper is better, but something that's in mint condition might be worth $3/lb or more if it's what you want and you have the expendable capital.
When reason fails.....

#12 basher

basher

Bladesmith and Blacksmith.

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Locationlondon UK

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:24 AM

It is worth remembering how long an anvil will (out)last you.....paying a few hundred bucks for a lifelong tool really isn't that bad.
Owen Bush bladesmith
Forging Soul into steel
bushfire forge school of smithing

#13 iron woodrow

iron woodrow

carbon based lifeform

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • Locationthe shadow of walshs' pyramid, FNQ australia

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:50 AM

'this old anvil aint mine to keep, its just mine to use for a while'

when I nod my head, hit it!

#14 ThomasPowers

ThomasPowers

Senior Moment Member; Master Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 17,373 posts
  • LocationCentral NM/El Paso TX Area, USA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

I spent 15 years in Columbus Ohio; we used to carpool 2 hours to SOFA meetings, stopping at a county fairgrounds fleamarket on the way for "pie and postvises".

Carpooling cuts way down on gas prices and a bunch of blacksmiths in a car makes the drive go faster save for the stops for road kill iron...
Thomas Psychotic Psychobabblonian Powers

#15 Unforgivun

Unforgivun

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationHueytown, Alabama

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Also worth remembering is that people list things on craigslist for a price normally expecting someone to offer them less.

http://bham.craigsli...2835407165.html So thats an anvil we have for sale. I'm asking $250 because I'm expecting to be offered less. If it was a smith that was going to use it and not someone looking to resale it, I would take considerably less. It all depends on the "vibe" I get from the person interested.

#16 stuarthesmith

stuarthesmith

Professional Blacksmith

• Members
  • 2,594 posts
  • LocationMontrose, PA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

that 300 lber in kentucky is a steal, you should borrow money and buy it
when faced with a doubting thomas, whip out a digital camera! http://snakecreekforge.weebly.com/

#17 David Gaddis

David Gaddis

• Members
  • 513 posts
  • LocationForest, Mississippi

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

bring some great big friends to load it...not in the back of the car...may have a flat and not be able to get the spare!
Any blacksmith looking into a septic tank will see there is more than liquid engineering going on!

#18 Dave Parker

Dave Parker

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • LocationPhenix City, Al, USA

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

I was out hitting flea markets this morning and crossed paths with a 204-pound Hay-Budden farriers' anvil. It was at a tool dealers booth. I passed at $2500. The owner looked mad when I told him I already had one that I paid $300 for. Like all deals, looking longer can save you some real money. I,ll tell the gang at the next FABA meeting about it but I think a working smith would pass over it. I hope that he crosses paths with a rich collector.

The last time I visited the same dealer, he sold me what he called a “Fisher anvil” for $50, it was actually a 70-pound Kohlswa. Even with dealers, prices go all over the place.
Dave Parker,
[email protected]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users