I Forge Iron

Anvil Alternatives

I am in no position to buy a real anvil. I'm sure there are, however, some alternatives. I noticed a large section of I-beam, about anvil sized, and about 1/4" thick, in a friend's yard the other day. Would this perform like an anvil substitute? Maybe if I welded some support columns in the gap?

Other homemade alternatives?

What your "hammer" sees is all the steel between it's face and the support. So an I-beam is 90+% air. Just a big chunk of steel is MUCH superior and generally much quieter.

Take a look at this one http://www.marco-borromei.com/fork.html all steel all the way down!

And I'm sorry to tell you but "alternatives" are real anvils---A basic cube of iron has been used as an anvil over 2000 years while the London Pattern anvil only dates back around 200---which is the *real* anvil.

Seems like this discussion has taken place every week for years on this site and I heartily encourage you to seek out previous ones rather than ask everyone to repeat their posts yet again.

Well that's sort of due to the fact that I beams don't work well---it's like deciding you want to build a race car frame out of wood and finding out that all the race car forums have no mention of doing it that way. It's absence indicates that perhaps it's not the way to go.

If instead you ask "how can I improvise an anvil" instead of "how can I make an anvil from an I beam" you might get a lot more answer.

Don't limit your materials!. Now if you have a good sized hunk of I beam already it can make a good vise stand or be saved until you decide to build a treadle hammer. Or trade it to a scrapyard for a more solid hunk of steel to use as an anvil.

Its not the best choice....... BUT...our whole thing is to make do with what we have , right ?. Use your idea of bracing, close together, Then the important part.....take a piece of old snow plow blade and weld it to the top, thats adds 3/4 inch of hard steel to the top,....also they have sq. holes for the bolts and that makes a 3/4" hardy hole. Bolt it down tight to something heavy or weld it to its stand, it will only good for small stuff but I think it will work, after all a RR track is I beam shape is it not?

Just about any large solid hunk of steel will work for an anvil however there are some choices tha are better than others. Take the "I" beam and stand it on end and then add some 1" to 1-1/2" plate to the top of the "I" would server you better than trying to reinforce the web of the "I" to create a surface to forge on.

I cannot disagree with anything said so far. When I started all that I had was a 1foot section of rail road track that a friend had and gave to me.

Maybe not the best thing but better than a rock and a stick... I just mounted it on top of a couple of 6x6 wood blocks and it worked just fine until I found a real anvil.... Every once and a while we still use that rr track for somethings...

Everything in these photos may be used for an "anvil alternative". They include a piece of I-beam, elevator counter wieght, block mild steel, piece of fork lift tine, mild steel plate, a piece of railroad rail and a round high carbon steel bar mounted in concrete and even the head of a hammer can be used. Use what you have and replace it as soon as you can, when you can - that is IF you don't like what you have or it isn't meeting your needs. Through out all of this site there are examples of alternates to London Pattern anvils. In fact, it seems that most people working metal have several types of anvil . . . use what you have and worry about the details later.

post-10988-0-41393500-1329071501_thumb.j

post-10988-0-42505600-1329071514_thumb.j

post-10988-0-71739700-1329071528_thumb.j

post-10988-0-08087900-1329071543_thumb.j

As a complete rank beginner, I bought a Harbor freight anvil on sale for less than $40..not a bank breaker... I know it will not last long, but is serviceable for now. I also found a piece of I beam that i use as well. Alot of the time, I turn the I beam on edge to use it as a fuller or swage (inside corners). A cheap alternative.

On the other hand that same $40 could buy you a bigger chunk of scrap steel that you could use forever!

http://www.marco-borromei.com/fork.html 120#, good carbon steel and total cost was $25! (Given that I had first found the forklift run off a bluff into a spoil pile near the river many years ago---good sized tree growing through it!...)