I Forge Iron

Anvil Tooling

At flea markets, auctions, etc. there are a plethora of tongs, hammers, and even anvils for sale. What folks do NOT usually find are anvil tools, especially anvil tools for large anvils. I recently traded three forge blowers, a 300 pound anvil, and two six inch heavy leg vises for approximately 1500 pounds of 1080 tool steel, in two and three eights diameter five-inch length drops. Perfect for forging hardies, swages, etc., by forging the shanks at both ends, then cutting it in half, then forging the business ends of the tool. I am making three sized shanks, 1 1/8, 1 1/4, and 1/3/8. Pictured below is a large hot cut hardy sample that I made yesterday, and a half-inch round bottom swage sample that I also forged yesterday. These heavy duty hardy-hole tools weigh a minimum of two pounds apiece!

post-10332-0-84009000-1328810713_thumb.j

post-10332-0-92867000-1328810876_thumb.j

post-10332-0-60666400-1328810898_thumb.j

But what about tooling for Large anvils? My anvil takes a 1.5" hardy shaft.

I've found that buying battered top tools and forging them down to fit the hardy hole works well for various swages. It seems like every Quad-State there is a fellow selling a pile of battered rusty tools like this and they get pretty cheap by the end of the event.

I have a 150lb and 400lb Peter Wright. The smaller anvil has a 1" hardy and the larger has a 1.5" hardy. In an effort to keep my tools simple I am making an adaptor plate for the 1.5 so that I do not have to buy or make double tools...
I am looking for a good hot cut so if you got'em for sale please let me know what you need for one...
thanks

I was thinking about making a adapter plate too. My hardy holes range from 7/8" to 1-1/2" . Im not sure if it would be a good idea to use a 7/8 hardy tool in a 1.5" hardy even in an adapter. Im usually doing heavier hammering on my 450lb fisher. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried this?