I Forge Iron

Tongs

Sam Salvati

Very nice write up and very nice tongs.

Just clarifying from the other website threads, you always drill your tongs? and you always drill them oversize to the rivet? Doesn't having the hole oversize increase the potential for slop before the tongs are very old or have you never noticed an issue? Does the rivet simply upset into the space and fit the hole? Do you hot rivet or cold rivet, does it matter?

Phil
ps
You should email Glenn the file to post in blueprints.

hey i just read the tutorial !! geniusly simple to follow sam - Nice One - they look great - youve inspired me to persist with this tong making thing, i am continuously raging with frustration whilst using the wrong tongs... nuff said... thanks for that :)

Very nice write up and very nice tongs.

Just clarifying from the other website threads, you always drill your tongs? and you always drill them oversize to the rivet? Doesn't having the hole oversize increase the potential for slop before the tongs are very old or have you never noticed an issue? Does the rivet simply upset into the space and fit the hole? Do you hot rivet or cold rivet, does it matter?

Phil
ps
You should email Glenn the file to post in blueprints.

Always drill, the rivet fills the hole, it is done hot.

PS why? I didn't post it here for a reason.

Thanks Beth, with your powerhammer tongs will be easy peasy!

Scott, I just use a hot cut, though I am working on another more repeatable way.

Re rivets: Some older texts recommend hot-punching from the outer side because that tapers the hole and supposedly keeps the two halves together better but I have never been able to tell the difference from a drilled hole. However, what does work quite well is to drill and countersink the hole in each tong bit (outside surface) then use a piece of ground drill rod for a rivet. Final step is to heat and upset into the depressions. This rivet method will hold for a long time before needing any sort of resetting due to wear.

• 3 weeks later...

Re rivets: Some older texts recommend hot-punching from the outer side because that tapers the hole and supposedly keeps the two halves together better but I have never been able to tell the difference from a drilled hole. However, what does work quite well is to drill and countersink the hole in each tong bit (outside surface) then use a piece of ground drill rod for a rivet. Final step is to heat and upset into the depressions. This rivet method will hold for a long time before needing any sort of resetting due to wear.

Thanks for the tips Hollis, I will start slightly countersinking both sides.