I Forge Iron

Welder/generator shopping, DC only, AC/DC, AC only?

pkrankow

I am kicking around the idea of a used welder/generator. They are available for about the cost of a welder and a generator, and my wife is on board with the idea of a portable generator, and not rewiring the garage.

I am seeing that a lot of the smaller (5kw or 6kw generator) units are "DC only" with a few of them being AC/DC and rarely "AC only". The output is typically between 145A and 185A. Miller is rather popular around here, SMAW (stick).

Is there any significant disadvantage to a "DC only" machine over an "AC/DC" machine? From other threads there is a disadvantage to "AC only" since a number of rods do not function as well under AC as DC, even if rated for both.

I do metalwork as a hobby, and we have had extended power outages (4hour+) at least once a year for the last 3 years.

Thank you for any advice.

Phil

a/c rods are sold just about any where,and for the common man a/c will do fine,as for generator purposes.. most small miller,hobart,lincoln's are rated at 10-12000 watts on the generator side which will run a small place,but be sure of your consumption/amps needs,onee other sugestion would be to look for r/v gen sets, i have a onan 6.5 that i'm rigging up, for a JIC.

As far as welding goes I'd go for the dc and consider ac a bonus. If your looking for backup for your home then ac or ac/dc as many of the older dc units auxiliary power is only dc and will only allow you to run brush type motors. Not very useful for modern home appliances etc.

Check into the Miller Trailblazer or Bobcat. Both have gen with 10k or better and you can use them for home power. My Trailblazer has a 240 outlet as well as 4-110 outlets. WARNING!!!!! When you hook it up to power your house MAKE SURE you have turned the main switch OFF!! The power will go back up the line, throught your transformer and kill anyone working on the power line as they are thinking it is dead. 110 going back through a transformer is bumped back up to 750 , or so I have been told, but it is enough whatever it is to kill your lineman.

I see these machines on CL farelly regular and at decent prices....and with my machine I can run SNAW, GTAW, GMAW, FCAW, and if I want to add the High Frenq. box, I can TIG alum. Also, IIRC, they are CV-CC.

DC stick tends to weld more smoothly and the current can be turned down a bit lower for the respective rod size, ie, the same rod will run 10-20 % lower amperage than on AC. However, DC can be subject to arc blow - especially at higher amperages - so AC tends to work better when you want more current and are laying down rods with higher percentage of iron powder. For example, I habitually use E6011 on both DC and AC, depending on the application - but typically burn E7014 rods only on AC. My son was given almost 150 lbs of 5/32 E8010 rods (which only run on DC) so we use those for fence work and those places where the material is rusty. I definitely believe having AC and DC available is worth the extra expense so as the others stated, I would spend a bit more and get at least 10K watts, anything less just won't handle much in an emergency power situation.

If I run sump pump (!!!) entertainment (tv, phone, internet, laptop) refrigerator, deep freeze, some lights, coffee pot, 5kw is plenty and can run on extension cord. (OK, not ideal)

I have a fireplace that can keep the house above 55F easily, unfortunately it is a poorly designed decorative masonry fireplace and does not heat as well as I would like (uses a lot of wood)

If I add in furnace and heat pump yes, I need more than 6k. Kohler's calculator recommends 8.5kw, and I can't turn everything on at once. A transfer switch arrangement of some type would be needed with the bigger unit.

Phil

I have the Miller Trailblazer. I have it so you can plug the 240 right into the main service panel and a large waring label to turn of the main disconect before pluging in the generator. I have not had to use it yet and I hope I do not ever have to. But it nice to know Ican.

I have a miller bobcat...It runs the house...with central air, hot tub, fridge, all the lights I need and the stereo or tv ( if the cable didn't get blown out too ) It ran for a week straight, it did however, use a few gallons of gas during that time.

You really do not want to weld with A-C current unless you are welding aluminum with a tig torch then you have no choice. I have never seen an engine drive welder that put out
A-C only.
The millers are probably the best out there now, I sure do like how the run NR 232. I would go for the Trail Blazer, 250 would be fine