I Forge Iron

Post your Favorite Blacksmithing Video

Ferrous - appreciate the link - really like the anvil this guy has, very practical.

That guy seems to have a good working smithy. "Yonas" being the smith putting up the videos on this channel. I assume he is the guy in the hat featured in most of the videos on this channel.

The guy in the woods though seems to be another, not Jonas.

I do not speak or read Russian. Anybody here on IFI know these smiths personally?

Tim where are you located? At least give us a state or province.

Seriously.. those viking sword guys spent all that time making that beautiful pattern welding and they just ground it all to dust.. I just can't understand why you would waste all that talent, hard work, and tool power to just grind it all away... Why not forge it down to a meaningful shape and insert the blade later at least so you don't waste fifty percent of the work.. heck if you even ground it down before inserting the blade at least you safe 80 percent of the hard edge.. It's a wonderful sword and a beautiful pattern but I just see so much wasted metal, time and grinding belts that it hurts my head.. The Jim Austin axe video seems to be a more successful product in my eye.. Just my two cents but what do I know I'm new :)

P.S. The grinding of the fuller made my heart hurt although I understand the idea of showing the pattern it still makes me just die a little inside because as a well trained but under tooled smith I wish I had the fullers to hammer in the grooves so I could do it the right way

That face video is amazing to watch.

As to William Conn's comment: I had thought so too. But as I have worked on trying to make different patterns I have found out that stock removal is extremely important fr anything other then straight lines or a random pattern that is created from uneven hammer blows during the forging process. For example the twist pattern used in those videos I posted here, one of the first steps is to give the material a square cross section so that it can twist evenly. I made a twist billet and decided that to much material would e wasted and the knife would be to small if I didn't forge it out some more. After forging out the blade and doing a quick etch the pattern is way different then if I had just ground. I am happy with the pattern so far so I am not regretting the choice but I will have to try again some other time to produce that star pattern others get by grinding.

• 11 months later...

I wanted to bring this post back up again.   We have new members that might benefit.   And, perhaps there are some new vids to place in this post for one stop shopping.   Pics are great but vids are the...  um bestest!  :D   I just rewatched my own original post and saw some new things.   Awesome!

Hey, let's start a thread of good videos to share. Give a short description of the video and the link.

All, I poke around on youtube for blacksmithing videos. I found this one a bit mesmerizing. There is no voice and the music gets annoying about 1/2 through but this is like a 12 minute crash course on making an ornate gate. Check it out... Assuming I know how to post a video link. It's German from the 30s and the guy has a hitler mustache but don't let that bother you. There is a lot of mortice and tenon joinery, interesting cuts and bends, a use of the vice that is so obvious but somehow I never thought of it. His delicate use of the hammer is also interesting. Lots of little tap tap blows while tweaking to finish. It's obvious this is not his first time at the anvil.

http://www.youtube.c...e&v=PwgIjPEZ

there was a post about when are you a blacksmith? i think when you can work as efficiently as this guy you are a blacksmith

One of my favourite blacksmithing videos is where my pal Alec is a little bit over-motivated with the sledge and hits himself right in his bloody British crown jewels  ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uQnQbDX698

Btw he uploaded the video by himself...

Yours

- Daniel

I really enjoyed this young mans video. This is what we need, more young men working with their hands instead of fingers and thumbs playing videos.  When I was a kid we played outside no matter what the weather and  had to be called to the house to come in. Now days you don't even see young kids playing outside. Video games have become the baby sitter of lazy parents and we will regreat it one day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NkKjdj9YIN4

• 10 months later...

That swedish nail-maker's really got it down pat.  I love the efficiency of his set up, including the foot pedal for his bellows.

Note how thin he's making his nail shank.  Very easy to clinch a nail like that, and it won't split the wood or hoof it's driven through.  I might make a set up like that for demonstrations.

For other searches try using a different language.

Try Smide 

Schmiede, schmieder, schmieden... - German (I think I got those right...)

Forgeron - French

Etc...

Just go to google translate and translate blacksmith or forging or whatever to a different language.   I have not tried them all above but this seems to open a few more doors.

Then post the real good ones here!