I Forge Iron

Beaudry Power hammer Information

I purchased a Beaudry power hammer today and pick it up tomorrow. It appears to be in great shape and was running in a working shop up until last week. The serial # on the machine is 2817, I googled but did not find any serial # listing. I believe it is either a 25 or a 50 pound hammer but did not know where to look for the weight on the hammer. Any help would be appreciated.
I will post pictures of it when I pick it up,

John

J W,The serial # 2817 should have been built in 1928 17th hammer that year according to how Beaudry #ed there champion hammers if that were the case it would be #ed differently than the chart posted. I dont know bout the utility hammers, don't have much experience with them but Bruce Wallace of United Hammers sould be able tell you, my Beaudrys have no serial #s stamped in the castings anywere on the hammers just on the tags I've stripped a few to bare castings and none of them have serial #s in the castings some think the # cast into the spring box is the year they were made but that is not the case Its just a part casting #, The champion is a great hammer and you ouhgt to love it. Is your hammer a slack belt driven hammer or a clutch model if its a champion, would love to see pics when you get it home.

Willey

not a 25lb ... looks to be a 50 or bigger ... hard to say
heres my 50lbs
DSC05255.jpg

their good hammers.. not abit of problems.. make sure its lubed well..
- oh and check out the rollers on the end of those arms.. make sure they roll and don't have flat spots ..

it should say on the right side...embossed in the hammer frame what it is.. i think?

oh and mines a stockwell... and its definitely stamped

JW yours looks to have been made before Barbour Stockwell bought out Beaudry if yours was a Stockwell like Dimenickels the size would be clearly stamped in the casting like he said, From what I can see in your pics your says Beaudry & Co in the casting ( could you take a closer pic of your casting when you get time, would be interesting to me to see the markings)?

Willey

ok, i just checked some photo's of a friend's 50lbs beaudry... this one doesn't have the weight on the side... it says " Beaudry co Inc. Boston Mass USA " in the casting... and it has a small metal name plate afixed above the name... which looks to have " utility hammer " written on it... hard to make it out

- do you have an overall weight... ? mines somewhere around 1800 -2000 lbs
- what the distance between dies ... the above chart gives some spec's ...

Looks good, Thanks for the close up of the tag. Like Dimenickel said check the rollers and if the have worn a track in the ram and how deep the track is, you don't want that track to be worn in to deep or it will start to ride on the roller axles( the utility like you have is alot easier to clean up those tracks cause the track and rollers are on the out side of the ram as where on the Champion hammer everything is inside the ram).

Willey

your hammer has 3 bolt holes on the right side adjustable guide ..... mine only has two... yours definitely looks to be a bigger hammer.. .... thats the first one i see thats bigger than a 50lbs in the utility hammers ... very cool

- yep, make sure the rollers are nice n round, and no flat spots... also make sure the inside bearing surface on the arms is nice and smooth..... so the rollers can roll

you'll like it when you get er running... very nice hammer !

my dies were small and not original.. so i got some made up outa s7 ...... and they fit the whole dovetail...

The hammer is completely stripped. The top bushing are in real good shape. The clutch would probably last awhile but I'll get it relined while I have it apart. Other than that and the ram roller that I need to replace due to a flat spot everything looks good. I shot the main frame with 2 coats of paint.Then I cleaned and re-oiled the gibs and reinstalled the ram. I marked the keys position before I removed it so I could put it back in the same place when I reassembled it.
I'll paint the base after it's all back together.

John
post-278-0-09149500-1327978902_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-99870600-1327978969_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-13441900-1327979046_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-24413900-1327979077_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-25266500-1327979109_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-20345400-1327979145_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-70050200-1327979170_thumb.jpg

Nice looking Hammer. Whats the throw on the crank plate?

Would it be possible to get some rough dimensional information on the spring/elliptical path arrangement on your hammer? I'm interested in collecting this data on the different sizes of beaudry hammers. I've attatched a basic sketch.

post-5033-0-85769900-1327982105_thumb.jp

HWoolridge,
All the castings numbers on each part say U-100- Part #. The pictures that I have of 50lb hammers the castings say U-50-Part #. I never did get to weigh the ram though (my digital bathroom scales just kept showing error). I do know that it's a pretty good tussel to wrestle it around to clean it and inspect it then get it back into place so I'm pretty confident it's a 100.

Will,
As soon as I get the lower end back together I will get the measurements for you.

This is truly a learning experience,

John

Today's progress. The flywheel is reinstalled. I took the rollers to a machine shop today and got a reasonable quote. The clutch was a whole different story. The only place I could find that would even look at it was very firm on time and material. He would not sell me the material to do it myself. I have a feeling he's gonna treat me like a freshman cheerleader right after the big game....OUCH!
post-278-0-40532400-1328061399_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-53421700-1328061435_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-30237100-1328061473_thumb.jpg

while your at the machine shop... i'd be nice to have a spare set of rollers.. ... just incase .. its nothin at all to whip them up on the lathe
- also, if you intend to use the orig leather belt.. in my case the leather was dry/cracky and even moldy... I applied neat's foot oil on it several times... ... seemed like a 1/4 bottle went into the belt... and now its like new... or close to it

it'll be nice to see it run...

• 2 months later...