I Forge Iron

Off Center Products / Grant Sarver

There seems to be a lot of interest in what’s going on with Grants estate and company so I thought I would kind of lay a few things out.

I have been asked by the Sarver family to facilitate the sale of Off Center products. The Kaynes of Blacksmith Depot and I are currently in discussions and they will have the first right of refusal. Part of what is important to the family and to me is to ensure that Off Center products remains high quality & American made . I am going to do everything in my power to make sure Grants legacy continues on in a way he would be proud of. I have faith that the Kaynes are the right people for the job and hope that we can come to agreeable terms. If for some reason that is not the case I will stipulate as part of the sale that for the time being current agreements and conditions that OCP currently has with the Kaynes stay in effect and that the Kaynes have a say in who produces the product. Grant has had a long and valued relationship with Blacksmith Depot and I don’t think Grant would approve of having it any other way. The last thing I or anyone one else wants is to jeopardize OCP’s or Grants good name.

Regardless of the sale of OCP all current inventory will be sold to the Kaynes in the hopes that the inventory supply will be sufficient to carry on till production can resume.

I am happy to answer whatever questions I can, However I will not discuss the terms of the sale nor details until I know the intentions of the Kaynes. If for some reason we fail to come to terms I will make an announcement and start giving terms and accepting offers.

Thank you Larry, you have your work cut out for you.

I ordered some OCP tongs last week from Blacksmith Depot because I wanted them (been putting it off), and made by Grant (apparently I wasn't the only person to do this). It will be good to see Grant's tools remaining in production in the USA.

Phil

Larry,

Thanks for doing this. I hope for all of us you're able to work out a deal that leaves all parties happy.

Seems like you've had a rough twelve months, do something nice for yourself. You've earned more than some virtual pats on the back.

Lewis

I am not a man of many means, but I, too, picked up a couple of Grant's gooseneck tongs, and will use them in his memory. We will sorely miss his presence here. May the souls of the faithfully departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

I'm very glad to hear that there are plans to continue Grant's legacy of quality tools. His tongs were the best I've had a chance to use, and priced darn reasonably. Here's hoping that all the various aspects of this working out come together as they need to.

By the way, he sent me a pair for free when I first started posting on Winikoff's Virtual Junkyard almost 15 years ago (half of my current lifetime, just about!) to help me get started.

• 2 months later...

I just picked up a rusted Swedish style hammer from Kayne's and when I got it I noticed it was OCP stamped. I wanted to have different style hammers to learn which I like best. I didn't get to know Mr. Sarver but that hammer will have a special place for me since I've read many of his old posts. He's gone but still helping out newbies like me.

I made good on a suggestion of Grant's to get some Peddinghaus wolf jaw tongs (when I ordered a few Grant made). The differences between the two products is night and day. His tongs are clean, no hammer marks, neatly swaged and finished, you could call them "Perfect".

The Peddinghaus tongs have hammer marks, you can tell that the operator was after acceptable and not perfect, the construction is heavier and not at all springy.

I am not dissing the Peddinghaus tongs here, they are quite nice, and somewhat nicer than tongs I have made. OCP tongs and presumably other products, were simply made to a very high standard by Grant.

Phil

I had bought a couple pairs of his "Gooseneck" V-tongs back at the '08 BAM conf. LOVE them!! and then got a large pair at the Saltfork picnic auction the next year. After Grant passed I felt I needed to round out the set so bought the others and wouldn't take for them. Yes, I miss his posts as we all do.