I Forge Iron

Plasma Cutting + P100 Respirator?

I read some posts on using a P100 half-face respirator when working with ceramic fiber blankets but couldn't pin down the best filter type for plasma cutting.
Cutting will be done outside but still want to wear a mask.

I have a P100 and want to make sure it is appropriate.

thanks,
Allen

A P100 is a great particulate filter that is Permissible to use where oil mist is present. Plasma cutting makes "Fume" which is metal smoke. Very fine droplets of melted metal that freeze back to solid, yet are small enough to remain airborn and to be inhaled. The P-100 is actually the respirator of choice for dust of the size of fume. A HEPA filter is the same effectiveness.
I wear a HEPA rated filter, that is rated for metal dust, fume radionuclides and fibers such as asbestos.

Hint for saving dollars, if oil mist will not be present, esentially a dry environment, a N-100 is the same filter, about 10 times cheaper just can't use around oil mist.

ou are welcome. If you can fiond one, A.O. Safety made a great half mask respirator that took very thin "Pancake" style replacable HEPA filters, called a "Quicklatch" I use them and love them as they fit under a weld hood, and when you need to answer the phone etc just step into a clear air area, lift the latch and the whole mask drops down and leaves your face clear. To restore just flip the latch and the mask refits to the face.

3M bought A.O. Safety a year or 2 ago, and discontinued the mask, but some are still on the shelf. A Quicklatch was about $19 wholesale and a box of 10 filter pairs of the HEPA Pancake style was about $12.

I searched the web some and did not find the A.O. Safety #8084 Conform P100 filters The A,O Safety # for a box of 10 is 50532-00000.
Since #M bought AOSafety, I can show a similar filter that fits the #M half face respirators.
look at
http://www.coopersafety.com/product/3m-2091-p100-filter-2-pack-1594.aspx or similar.

These are the best rating of P100 for particulate. There are also versions for nuisance level Organic vapor(Paint) as well, but only for nusiance levels.

Good luck. I am currently out of replacements for the Conform P100, and will be asking my former AOSafety rep (Now 3M) for help in finding a box of new old stock. My resoirator facepieces are still good, and I like them. But i may have to change to the Newer 3M and loose the Latch feature.

The 3M filters will NOT interchange :(

• 1 month later...

A P100 is a great particulate filter that is Permissible to use where oil mist is present. Plasma cutting makes "Fume" which is metal smoke. Very fine droplets of melted metal that freeze back to solid, yet are small enough to remain airborn and to be inhaled. The P-100 is actually the respirator of choice for dust of the size of fume. A HEPA filter is the same effectiveness.
I wear a HEPA rated filter, that is rated for metal dust, fume radionuclides and fibers such as asbestos.

Hint for saving dollars, if oil mist will not be present, esentially a dry environment, a N-100 is the same filter, about 10 times cheaper just can't use around oil mist.

I have the same filter, I highly recommend it.