I Forge Iron

RIP Grant Sarver

monstermetal

This is truly a sad event for the blacksmith community. I met Grant severral times at events and at times we could coorespond. He was extremely knowledgeable, sharing of his time and an upstanding guy. He will be missed. My condolences go out to his family and many friends. He will be missed.
James Johnson

This is such a shock! I think that all who knew Grant have a great respect for him. I have never meet Grant but I can say that he has taught me so much. To his family I say thank you for sharing this Great Man with all of us. My condolences go out to all Grants family.

Gaylan Veater

Hearing of his passing is like a kick in the gut!

I, like others, keep expecting to see a post on this thread by "NakedAnvil", then I must remind myself. . . well this is tragic.

I never had the fortune to look him in the eyes but like others always read rather eagerly what he wrote on here.

His knowledge and humility absolutly staggered me! I will never forget having a debate with him in a thread regarding bellow design, namely the air pressure and how to figure it. Eventually we agreed, then later he said something to the effect of, "I thought he was an idiot(speaking about me) at first, but after he explained himself a bit more I realized that he was right and I was wrong." This shocked me a great deal! It is increadibly RARE to find someone with as much knowledge as Mr. Sarver had and even MORE RARE to find someone with that much knowledge that is willing to admit their ignorance in a given subject! Frankly I don't believe that he would have amased such a vast knowledge(which he freely shared with any and everyone) if he had not been willing to admit ignorance on the rare occasions that it existed!

He was also just about as practical as one can get. He also freely gave credit where credit was due. Some of his tongs and such were originated in other peoples minds and he would state, "Well, so and so came up with the original idea, I just changed it a bit to make it easier to produce and cheaper. Anyone who knows how it can be improved please speak up! " That is even more rare!

I think that everyone writing about Mr. Sarver here has a bit or two or twenty pieces of advice from Mr. Sarver that they charish greatly. Most all of them are somewhere on IForgeIron.com in the forums. Is there a way that we could produce a seperate "forum" that had the best bits of advice that Mr. Sarver gave here? This would be an invaluable tool for everyone here, especially the new people. Maybe it could have sections, such as forges, tools, techniques and of course his jokes. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

I can just see him now at the pearly gates alternatly asking Paul how the bleep you forge weld pearls and asking him if he can "Exchange an old Goddess for two newer models."

May he smile forever!

Caleb Ramsby

Hearing this has floored me, Grant was a guy I had real respect for not only as a fellow human but as one of the shrinking band of fellow professional smiths in this world. We are lucky that he shared the knowledge he had ammassed in his lifetime to the people on this and other sites. Too many smiths have gone to the grave taking their knowledge with them, that knowledge/skill is lost forever. Thankfully Grant gave of his knowledge freely. My condolences to his family. Grant we will all miss you.

Phil

RIP Grant.

I am deeply saddened by this news, and offer my most sincere condolences to his family and friends.

What a brilliant, kind and humorous man he was. I never had the honor to meet him, but have learned much from him through the stories and advice he posted here and elsewhere. I vaguely recall a slightly raunchy story he wrote to explain how carbon steel is made. I smile at the memory.

Goodbye Mr. Sarver

Robert

This was posted on Facebook by Grants oldest daughter

For those who do not know me, I’m Grant Sarver's oldest daughter.

As many of you now know, the start to 2012 has us saying goodbye to our pop, a truly amazing man, wonderful father, loving husband and great friend to all who came across his path (especially if they knew how to fire up a forge or tell a dirty or corny joke). It is with truly heavy hearts that we ask you to join us in remembering and celebrating a life that was taken from all of us too soon.

As pop would have wanted, we are celebrating his life and not mourning his death this Saturday, January 7 at 4pm at the Centerstage Theatre Arts Conservatory (Knutzen Family Theatre), 3200 SW Dash Point Road, Federal Way, WA.

We will also be hosting a more informal gathering at my parents’ home sometime next week for all his blacksmith friends to laugh, cry and celebrate his spirit and life. More information on this will be forthcoming.

Thank you all for the friendship, love, support and community you have shared and built with pop.

Please feel free to contact me if there are any questions.

Kei
(keilee77@gmail.com/253-846-2038)

You could also send flowers to the Sarver family at:

OCP Galactic Headquarters
30411 40th Ave E
Graham, WA 98338

I just "met" him recently by phone when we were discussing the purchase of an induction forge. Such a shame a really good and knowledgeable guy.

Reminds me of that movie, Stand By Me. At the end, the narrator says of his friend's death, "I haven't seen him in 30 years, but I will miss him."

I never got to know Grant, but I will miss him.

As all - I was shocked and saddened by the sudden loss of Grant Sarver. I have read all of the prayers here and there are and will continue to be great memories and stories about him. I had several discussions with him regarding some hammers he had made some time ago that I was able to pick up unknowingly they were of his origin and handiwork. It will be a great tribute to him when those that gained from his knowledge and wisdom speak of him in terms of the likes of many passed masters of the craft - Whitaker, Habberman, Yellin et al. May his knowledge and wisdom be passed on to those that seek.
May your welds will now always be perfect and your forge will never be cold - forge on my friend. My anvil will ring for you.

Really hate to hear about this. Never had direct contact with him but still learned so much from him by reading his posts. I always looked to see what he had to say about any topic of interest and knew he would have reliable information.

Hope his family finds peace.

I will ring the anvil here this evening.