I Forge Iron

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carpool to a group meeting! We used to carpool for a 2 hour drive to get to SOFA meetings from Columbus OH.

Here in New Mexico I get to drive almost 100 miles just to see my Doctor and the next Blacksmithing meeting will be a 2 hour drive both ways for me.

Once you get to a meeting introduce yourself and ask if there are any smiths local to your area---it's been more than once here where someone said there wasn't any smiths in their area only to find out there was someone within 5 miles of their place.

Buck Coal&Ice out of Columbus, GA is where I get my coal. Last time I bought some it was $12.50 a 50 pound bag. The coal isn't the best (oily and smoky) and you may have to chip some down yourself, but cokes really well and is very clean when it does so. Gonna go back and get a truck load next month.

I last bought there about two years ago and it was $15 per bag, May be about $17 now. Best is to call and ask. I bought a 1000# and got a better price.

I know of one source in the vicinity of Macon that the price is right but for me the quality is not for me. In bulk, stoker coal , lots of fines and to dirty.

Jerry

Doesn't bother me to much i'm kinda to the south its just easier to go to Atlanta because ill be up there next week anyways i'm going to Macon tomorrow and their is a place up there i plan to check but they may be closed for veterans day and all so yea i don't know we will see and i will post back if i get it.

Tim

i buy mine from sidney lee in macon. last i bought was a little over 19.00 for a 50lb bag with tax. you should look in to joining the ocmulgee blacksmith guild or south georgia blacksmith guild out of savannah. i have been in the OBG for 2 years now. great group of guys and alot of knowledge in both guilds. let me know if you want any info for joining. Randy

well Macon was a bust no coal but im in bed at my hotel room about to fall out and just posting to tell you all but im not to worried i will be in Atlanta next week so yep planing on going to that place in Hampton or Columbus either or not sure yet. probably Hampton bc it will be less out of my way.

Thanks very much for the help
Tim