I Forge Iron

Pesky Neighbor

Get a DB meter, $20, or get the app for your i-phopne. Once you have a DB meter and a distance you can establish a base line for noise. With this you can then rate your contribution to the noise pollution or know when you need hearing protection. Please read the linked information.

Reference IForgeIron thread on how loud is too loud - click here.

Fortunately I live in the country, 15 mi. to town, 1 mi. to the only "live in"neighbor. All others live in other countys or states, about 1000 acres with 8 full time residents, no zoning laws. I can do anything I want. I used to live in town, had the cops called 3 times when remodling working between 8 & 9 pm. Real pain in the XXX! I know how you feel.

If all else fails..take up drumming as a hobby..invite a local high garage band to come play..tell them you like things loud.
Invite the neighbor and speak calmly about how this new hobby of yours is SO MUCH more fulfilling then dirty metalwork.
Wear a "big brother's big sister's" T-Shirt.

Some folk, when faced with options, take the one you wish them to take.

Ric

What an awesome idea!

If all else fails..take up drumming as a hobby..invite a local high garage band to come play..tell them you like things loud. Invite the neighbor and speak calmly about how this new hobby of yours is SO MUCH more fulfilling then dirty metalwork. Wear a "big brother's big sister's" T-Shirt. Some folk, when faced with options, take the one you wish them to take. Ric

This reminds me of a funny tale......I used to go to an auto salvage yard in the middle of some nice houses and it had been there long before the ''nice country homes.'' Then one of his next door neighbors found out that the zoning didn't allow for this and had the guy remove all the junkers. Well the area was actually zoned for agriculture an the old salt decided raising pigs would would be his next gig..........Then the chagrins were reversed........His neighbor moved and probley lost his butt on the house........ :lol:

Of course it can go the other way too. A house caught on fire catty corner to my smithy once and nobody called it in at first because they thought it was my forge making all the smoke---I guess they can't tell wood smoke from coal smoke!

I had a student that set up a forge behind his house in the college area that had a neighbor call the city on him. The inspector said he needed an EPA permit to burn coal; so being a stubborn cuss he called up the EPA: they asked him "How much coal do you burn in a year?" "3 to 5 hundred"---"Tons?"; "No pounds." When they got through laughing they told him to not bother them until he was in the 1000 tons a year range---and they were nice enough to send him a letter saying that!

So next time the inspector came out he shows him the letter and the inspector tells him he has to get a burning permit, 10 working days before each time he wants to forge and pay a $25 a time fee for it---he moved.

.... Just go over to the neighbors house and tell them you give up... they win, There has been a biker gang who has been hounding you for some time to take over your lease for a a club house anyway after they lost there last place when the DEA did a meth lab raid.....

Another awesome idea!

I know where you're coming from, Arean. I live in a small village just six doors down from the village offices. I haven't been cited by them (yet) and I am very careful to keep things on the low down. I have given up using coal during the warmer months when everyone has their windows open, that got me some grief from the neighbors so I took the hint before I got a citation.
Our local zoning officer is quite the busy body, he's been here twice in the three years I've lived here. The first time was just as we were sitting down to dinner when came a knock at the door, the back door. I answered it and he told me who he was and was "just out reminding folks that the leaf pick up dates had been changed". This was in August. We get one pick up in Oct and one in Nov, those dates are posted in the village newsletter that everyone gets in the mail monthly. So that was the cockmamey excuse he was giving for his real intentions, cruising everyone's backyard to see what he could see. I've come to learn he does that a lot around here. I've heard tell he has run afoul of a few dogs now and then and had to make a run for it and jump fences. Serves him right.
The second time we met I noticed him out front with his truck. He was picking up garbage someone had dumped alongside the road by hand and throwing it into the back of his pick up. I asked if would would like a rake which he accepted and I headed for the garage to get it. He hurriedly caught up to me and joined me as I opened the garage. Really he just wanted to rubberneck and see what he could see in there. He is more than a bit nosy for my liking. I figure if someone has business with me coming around to the back door is not the way to do it, that's just plain shady.

I live in the country in NC. Very rural and great neighbors. Lots of open space and noise is never a problem. I am blessed. But in our area there are a lot of people moving "down" from lets say a cooler climate, moving into these big high dollar subdivisions to retire and get closer to the country. They have put forth a resolution to the county to have the farm tractors only be allowed to go up and down the road at certain hours because they get in the way. They come to the country and then when the country gets in their way or blocks their view they want things just like it was back home. Of course they were laughed at by the county commissioners and all in attendance. I've lived in Kodiak, AK for three years and if it starts to get wierd here I'll move back to AK.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Arrean Ellis. Been there. Solution? sell out and move. Now I'm back in a close residential location and trying to get set up again. One of the neighbors has stated they won't have a problem with my forge (coal) but I'm trying to get a gas forge built anyway. Not sure what the city will think. Gonna try anyway. Meanwhile, we're trying to finish the house remodel so we can get it put on the market and start looking for another place that may be amenable to blacksmith work. Whatever you do, stay away from Northwest Washington; the Northwest Air Pollution Authority will make every effort to shut you down, threatening you with exorbitant fines, arrest and confinement and everything else they can think of. No offense to anyone currently living and struggling with the economic and business climate of NW Washington.

• 2 years later...

I hear you guys, I have been blacksmithing for over two years, yep I know still a newbie. Had to move because of druggies upstairs, we moved into my wife's parents house. Not even here a month, already have had several complaints. This is only a hobby for me, but a very serious and passionate one. Awaiting the first letter and have both a zoning and building inspector coming on Monday. I actually only forge about once or twice a week. Other times I am grinding or drilling, etc. Now, I have to prove where our property starts, making sure I am within the required setbacks, talk to the fire Marshall about my charcoal forge among many other items not relating to my shop. Was told no lawn chairs around the fire pit we relax at, no kids toys like their toy house and kitchenettes etc. And my anvil is quiet. Talked to 3 of the 4 neighbors and they like that I am blacksmithing and said they can't even here me. Just trying to deal with the one now. My wife's family has lived here for almost 50 years and is the oldest house on the block. Sorry to vent, just tired of not being left alone. When I don't bother anyone and help out when I can.

Welcome aboard Crazy Rich glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

The closest I've ever come to living with a HO? is in a trailer court. There were a couple gripey neighbors who didn't have anything better to do than look out the window and complain. They just didn't like ANYTHING new and really hated it when I ignored them, so did the management. They even called the police once, police told them what the penalties for filing false reports and misuse of the emergency system were.

Keeping on the good side of the rest of the court was a matter of keeping everybody's knives sharp and doing minor repairs gratis. I got invited to lots of BBQs and dinners. A few knives and repairs was cheap.

Frosty The Lucky.

Most municipalities are bullies and do enforcement by complaint. Even when you are not in violation of any ordinance, many times they will attempt to intimidate you into going with the flow simply so they don't have to deal with someone who complains. Knowing exactly what your rights are and what you can and can not do is one of the best ways to combat this. However expect to have to fight if you want to hold your ground and stand up for what you are seriously entitled to do. Inspectors and so on have little to no stake in the game, and get paid whether they are in court or not, win or loose. Also many have an ulterior motive as many times they are out to collect revenue and if they think they can ticket you, they will, right or wrong. Most bet on the fact the average person will not stand up and fight, and will simply write a check to make the issue go away.

I had a neighbor who sicked the inspector on me. After making me jump thru all sorts of hoops and forcing an inspection on both of our properties on the street, they finally couldn't find any violations other than the possibility that I didn't have a permit for a small shed in the one yard. $100 permit fee solved that. When they were done I told them I knew exactly who the "anonymous" complainant was and if he complained again, they should tell him if he wanted to play I could play too. I proceeded to list a number of very expensive violations on his property. The inspector tried to bluff and BS me that all that stuff was grandfathered in, but I pulled out a copy of the code book and proceeded to ask them to show me where in each relevant section that exemption was listed. That shut them up fast as they knew immediately I knew the real story. I figured I could cost the pest at least $70K in alterations if he wanted to play this game. Surprisingly I never heard another complaint from him again, nor did any of the other neighbors he'd been pestering with the township. Before most would get a letter about every 2 months on some sort of minor "violation".

Also I sent a registered letter to the township after this happened. In that letter I stated that no one including township employees  and the inspectors were to come on my property without my express permission in writing or unless they had a warrant. That doing so would be considered trespassing in violation of the law. This would keep them from simply wandering by on some lame excuse because they wanted to snoop. One of the things they had previously said was that they had pictures of the inside of the house supposedly thru the windows ( that they never would produce) that showed violations. Supposedly the person complaining had taken these. This would along with posting the property, would allow me to push for any future picts as evidence that a "crime" had been committed.

Try my town.I recently looked up our address on Google and saw a change I made in the side yard a month ago. They drive down the alleys here with the roof top cameras looking in the back yards. Interesting what is in the yards down the alley. My neighbor across the alley got a notice from the city the week he moved in. The complaint was a tree limb touched the roof of the trash truck. Google makes it easy for code enforcement they don't have to leave the office! 

Around here they fly the townships taking photos. Super impose the two picts, one from today, and one from last year or a few years back and all sorts of things pop up. I know a few who have gotten citations from things in their back yard, above ground pools, vehicles and so on. Big brother IS watching you. The abundance of new inexpensive drones isn't going to make life any easier on the little guy.

It's all about the money. Since the economy crashed, municipalities have had to find new ways to fund their ever growing need to spend money. Since they can't get it from businesses any longer as so many have gone under, they are turning to hitting the residents vs leaning to cut costs.

I believe Ronald Reagan said

"No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!"

The Daily Caller August 13, 2014  Additional reference

Google’s Newest Satellite Will Be Able To Zoom In On Your Face

Google is about to get an eye in the sky powerful enough to see your face, thanks to a new satellite set to launch later this week and updated satellite imaging laws.
After lobbying the federal government to green-light a halving of the satellite imaging zoom limit to 25 cm resolution earlier this year, satellite company DigitalGlobe will launch a new satellite Wednesday capable of shooting the new images which will show in detail objects as small as 10 inches, according to Motherboard.

The company, which already has five satellites in orbit, is currently lobbying to reduce the resolution down to 10 cm, or the size of a smart phone, according to the report.

Google with the help of its own recently acquired satellite company, Skybox, plans to launch 24 of its own satellites by 2018, which will capture images of the entire planet three times per day at a distance closer than 1 meter of resolution, and 90 seconds of video at 30 frames-per-second.

This post is meant to be to be for information only. Please do not let it turn political.

I want one of the hard drives they are using (grin)