• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 justj2

justj2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

well you've got me there, but when ever ive worked with copper, annealed it then had to do some other odd job or come back the next day i'd have to re-anneal it because it's hard again.
Also, ive never seen options to buy different hardnesses of copper, only different compositions or alloys

#22 Nakedanvil - Grant Sarver

Nakedanvil - Grant Sarver

The Ferrous of them All!

• Members
  • 3,124 posts
  • LocationRight here at OCP Galactic Headquarters!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

From COPPER.ORG:

Types of Copper and Properties

The copper most commonly used for sheet and strip applications complies with ASTM B370. It consists of 99.9 percent copper, and is available in six tempers designated by ASTM B370 as: 060 (soft), H00 (cold rolled), H01 (cold rolled, high yield), H02 (half hard), H03 (three quarter hard), and H04 (hard).

“There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
but then there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence,
transform a yellow spot into the sun.” ~ Pablo Picasso ~

#23 justj2

justj2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

okay, proved your point, i submit.

#24 Nakedanvil - Grant Sarver

Nakedanvil - Grant Sarver

The Ferrous of them All!

• Members
  • 3,124 posts
  • LocationRight here at OCP Galactic Headquarters!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:24 PM

Don't worry, it's not a matter of submitting. The great thing about these forums is we can discuss opinions, experiences, sources etc. Hopefully, by doing so, we can all learn something.
“There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
but then there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence,
transform a yellow spot into the sun.” ~ Pablo Picasso ~

#25 Dillon Sculpture

Dillon Sculpture

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  • LocationAtlanta area

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

Don't worry, it's not a matter of submitting. The great thing about these forums is we can discuss opinions, experiences, sources etc. Hopefully, by doing so, we can all learn something.

True dat!

#26 facium

facium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

Copper is different, it will be soft after annealing regardless of air cooling or quenching. How hard copper will be after annealing (hard, half hard, dead soft) depends on how hot you get it.

I think there has been a slight misunderstanding about copper returning to hard if air cooled. Some (but not all) non-ferrous metals do need to be quenched to soften them (Silver need to be held at temp over time, then quenched). If you let them air cool (4 hours?) then they would still be hard, but the original question was about copper.
Aut invenium, aut facium (I will find a way or make one)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users