#1 Iron Hand Dan

Iron Hand Dan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:57 PM

Howdy folks,

Heard a rumor just after quadstate that at some point in time Sears and Robuck dumped a bunch of Peter Wright anvils into the Ohio river, or some other body of water. As the story goes, Sears either couldn't unload them or they closed shop in Ohio somewhere. And instead of selling all the merch, they dumped the anvils.

Anyone have any information on this or should I not bother chasing this tale?

#2 Wesley Chambers

Wesley Chambers

Having a Senior Member Moment

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationLexington, Ky

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

might have better promise than my treasure hunt for the 1600# anvil that was in the Portsmouth coke plant on the river. After a few field trips to the site and talking to locals the walmart parking lot now resides where the anvil was. More than on person saw said hunk of steel there one day then the dozers moved in and flattened the area, few days later parking lot.... best of luck on your hunt!

#3 Rich Hale

Rich Hale

Apprentice curmudgeon

• Members
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:15 AM

Strong long time rumor about a lot of acme anvils in monument valley the ones that just missed the Road runner.

#4 Ferrous Beuler

Ferrous Beuler

• Members
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationLeicester, New York

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:47 AM

I don't know about anvils in rivers but there is plenty of wrought iron in Lake Erie at depths reachable by recreational divers.

Several of the wrecks on this list specify iron as the cargo. Got a boat and a big magnet? LOL.

http://www.alcheminc.com/shipwrck.html

Check out one of the wrecks listed at site #161, the New Connecticut, story is a real eye popper.

P.S.- Lots of coal down there too!
"Tools do not make the blacksmith. The blacksmith makes the tools"... -Glenn Connor
"When the love of power is overcome by the power of love the world will have peace"... -Jimi Hendrix

#5 ThomasPowers

ThomasPowers

Senior Moment Member; Master Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 17,481 posts
  • LocationCentral NM/El Paso TX Area, USA

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

I don't recall Sears ever re-selling PW's. I do remember trentons and HB's being re-sold under their brandnames though.

When I lived in Columbus OH where both A&H and Trenton anvils were made I talked with one of their workers whol told me that when the anvil factory he worked at was shut down there was a line of anvils sitting over by the steep slope to the river. I tracked down the plant and spent some time looking in the river. I found a dozen or so of the 4' diameter 1' wide sandstone grinding wheels in the river---they used to roll them down into it for fun when they got so small. Unfortunately with such a long history of early industrial use a metal detector was useless as over 1/2 of the "river" seemed to be discarded iron junk...
Thomas Psychotic Psychobabblonian Powers

#6 nonjic

nonjic

Long Member

• Members
  • 921 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:24 PM

I know roughly where there are at least 4 brand new, un-used Massey 'clear space' hammers that are free if you are willing to collect them -

They were last seen in the early 1940's, being transported to Russia. There is a very good chance that they are going to be a bit rusty now though :D

Good luck on the anvil hunt, remember to enjoy the journey as the destination might elude you.

~ The artist formally known as John n ~

#7 Hayden H

Hayden H

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • LocationVernon Texas

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

If you have the money to spare, go buy a detector that only will work for a specific range of iron, or steel.
Dragon Slayers the name, fixing things is my game

#8 ThomasPowers

ThomasPowers

• Members
  • 17,481 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:21 PM

*Spend* *MONEY*???? You must be new around these parts!

Unfortunately as much of the river bed is random post industrial metal I don't think even a fancy detector would be a help---and I now live 1500 miles away. I have shared the location with a number of people though I hope one of them finds the mother load...The original factory was converted to an edible oils hydrogenation plant and is now a set of condo's.

#9 Hayden H

Hayden H

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • LocationVernon Texas

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:37 PM

G.P.R. go to one of the local colleges, and offer them a challenge. Ground Penetrating Radar can find a metatarsal in a hay field, it can find a big ole'd bunch of anvils in a river bed
Dragon Slayers the name, fixing things is my game

#10 SReynolds

SReynolds

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationMansfield Ohio Area

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:35 PM

hummmmmmm

I have two Trenton Anvils and was told on this forum they are made in Trenton N.J.

Columbus Ohio sounds better though, as that is much closer.
"Don't have such an open mind that your brains spill out"

#11 ThomasPowers

ThomasPowers

• Members
  • 17,481 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

Lets see I got my Fisher anvil, made in NJ, in Columbus OH and got my Arm and Hammer made in Columbus OH in Springdale Arkansas. My Trenton I got in Mansfield OH---but it was originally sold in Arizona to a mine and I caught it on the way back so to speak. My Peter Wrights, made in England, I bought one in AR and one in NM. My Hay Buddens were one in OK and one in Zanesville OH. My Powell anvil, another English import was found in Columbus OH as was a Vulcan (made in IL). A sodofors swedish anvil turned up in NM and my, English, William Foster was another Columbus OH find.

OH seems to be quite cosmopolitan as far as anvils go---of course I lived there for 15 years and that reflects in the number of cheap anvils I found...

Oh yes another one a Bridge anvil, II&B--IL, I picked up in OK after an abusive life in the oil fields.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users