I Forge Iron

Pass Thru Practice

BP

After seeing a few pass thru examples in print and in person I decided to play around with it and into an idea I have been kicking around. It is 1/2" round with a 3/4" split and drifted hole. The leaf was made after passing the nub through the hole. Tenoned on the end to go into the round plate disc I beat up and slightly domed.

I wanted the hole to look somewhat like a hollow in a tree...It still needs to be refined, but is a start.

The best thing about it is the base for me. I lightly hit it with a 4 1/2" grinder to highlight the high spots. With a coat of clear spray paint it turned out okay.

Not sure what to do with this "element"...but, I do like the idea and lines of it. Maybe in the future something functional can come of it...This one ended up in Iron in the Hat.

Ideas and criticisms are always welcome...

Peyton

post-54-0-80719500-1311899345_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-54320200-1311899368_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-10578000-1311899407_thumb.jpg

Very Nice! A similar design could be made with a portion of the vine making a horizontal loop which would be used as a base and the plate flipped upside down and used as a candle holder. The punch and drifted hole with the leaf and vine running through itself could be incorporated where ever you choose. Just a thought. Great work!

That's very cool Peyton, I like it. Does it have a title? Every piece of art should have a title shouldn't it? What occured to me is "Tree committing Seppuku."

A bottle holder and or candle holder is awful darned useful for a piece of art isn't it?

Frosty the Lucky.

I'm not technical when it comes to terms but I think that may technically be called threading the needle!!!??? Can someone confirm? It does look like you passed the metal through itself though! LOL

I like to hit textured pieces with 220 grit sand paper as it gives a finer finish than an angle grinder. I love how you gave the metal around the hole the appearance that the split extends both ways a bit. VERY inventive element.

A wine bottle holdler would be neat. The first loop could be sized for the bottle and the leaf end could form the smaller loop for the neck.

Overall nice job! I need to give it a wirl.

Could you show us some pictures of the tools you used? I need to make slitting chisels and would love to see some pictures. Does your slitter double as your opener or do you use a separate opener? Are you using power or treadle hammer tools or are you slitting over the anvil?

Thanks for sharing and good job!