I Forge Iron

Side draft chimney

I ended up finding some c/s sheet, 1/16"--not sure the ga.-- and took it to a shop that could cut and roll it. the sheet matrl. was from a scrap yard and the labor to cut/roll/tack was $75.00. I was happy to say the least. Works great and a lot cheaper than what you can buy...at least was for me. None of the places I checked carried anything larger that 6", at least in my area. Best I remember I have less that $125.00 in my side draft and piping, matr'l and labor plus my labor...of course I work for myself REALLY cheap! :P

I picked up 2 sections of spiral seamed 10" ductwork at the Re-store for $4 a 10' section. They also had some SS to make the ingress section from.

Did you check with a local HVAC contractor to see what they had on their pull off pile from remodeling commercial spaces? Did you check with the local demolition company to see if they have any to sell you for 1/2 or less the price of new?

Here's what I did. Go to the lumber yard and buy some corrigated barn tin. Fold it around into a circle, drill some holes and pop rivet the seam together. Mine is almost 11" around and 12' tall. I've had it up for 3 years so far. It won't be perfictly round, but works great for me.

post-6008-0-76163800-1310005942_thumb.jp

Here's what I did. Go to the lumber yard and buy some corrigated barn tin. Fold it around into a circle, drill some holes and pop rivet the seam together. Mine is almost 11" around and 12' tall. I've had it up for 3 years so far. It won't be perfictly round, but works great for me.

I like that idea Steve. I wonder if there would be a problem using the galvanized metal because my pipe will be inside and go through my roof. I don't know if it would get hot enough to put off any dangerous fumes. Thanks!

Mine didn't but I don't know how *your* set up will be. i picked up a couple of *short* sections of stainless from the Re-Store to do the last bit on my system down near the firepot just in case; but have not used them yet.

If you are going through the roof of anything attached to your house you may need a formal woodstove pass through---though in my experience my forge flue has *NEVER* been nearly as hot as my wood stove flue; follow all requirements to keep the insurance people happy!

My shop has steel walls and roof and as we get very little rain, (we're at 0.1" precip for the year so far!) I have a rather informal set up for the chimney.

I like that idea Steve. I wonder if there would be a problem using the galvanized metal because my pipe will be inside and go through my roof. I don't know if it would get hot enough to put off any dangerous fumes

My flue pipe is outside and about 3 1/2' from the fire pot. It gets to hot to lay your hand on but I haven't seen any color change, so I doubt that it's giving off fumes. Use your own judgement, I wouldn't want to give advice where someones health is involved. I'm sure someone here can tell you the temp it starts to burn off.

• 3 weeks later...