I Forge Iron

Before and After

MRobb

I started a small project a while back to help my kids and others to see what can be made from a simple piece of steel bar.
I am sure most of you have done variations of this yourselves. I thought I would throw mine out here as an example. Let's see what you have done. I am sure this has been, and is done, for demos and such. I get stuck doing the same things over and over and need some inspiration from time to time.
Sorry about the quality of the picture. All I have is my cell phone. My digital camers is elsewhere.

Critiques and comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

Mitch

post-2512-0-44852500-1307387702_thumb.jp

When I opened the thread I thought I would see something that is old and made to look new again.

I then saw the picture. I was expecting a story board to make one item, not a piece of starting stock and 9 items that could be made from it!

Very thoughtful. I like the idea.

Phil

That would be a good thing to take to show and tell at school. Children these days don't seem to have much imagination when it comes to looking at a single piece of, well name it, and seeing it as something else. I know when I was being a parent assistant in art class when my son was in middle school it was so difficult to get them to visualize making something out of a block of clay, this would have been a great thing to show them.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments and responses. I appreciate them.
This project was started to help me, and others, see the many possibilities that hide inside each piece of steel
that we look at. It can be changed any number of ways. Just start by using a different piece of stock,round bar,
square, flat, angle iron, different lengths, etc. The end results are limited only by our imaginations.

If I ever get to the point where I can teach others about blacksmithing, I will use this as a project for the students and see what they come up with. Give each one a different piece of starting stock and see what happens. I am sure that they will teach me some things as well.

Thanks for looking and for your responses,

Mitch

montyc,
It's not too difficult to do. It's called by many as a Russian Rose. There should be something on it on this site. Maybe in the blueprint section. I know there is also something on the Anvilfire website. I don't have anything written up on it myself. Do a search for "Russian Rose", something should pop up. If you can't find anything, holler out and we'll search some more. Thanks for the interest.

Mitch