I Forge Iron

Sword of the Sun

basher

ere is the latest piece I have been working on .
700layer random pattern blade , pin striped damascus fittings and leather over lime handle.
the blade is 39 inches OA is 49 inches.
weight 3lb and 10oz centre of balance 2.5 inched. from guard.
I wanted the lines in the fittings to really show the flow of the steel as the pieces were forged , the blade has amazing chatoyance .
The sword was a commission .he client wanted a hand and a half sword and liked the aesthetics of the Albion Dane particularly the ricasso (Albion have become a milestone and reference all in their own rite, I more often am quoted albion than oakshott by clients !!) I wanted softer lines and bold ricasso blade junction . I also mixed in handle dimentions from one of his favorite practice swords.....I like the result it reminds me of swords of the type that were on the coveres of conan or gore books I read as a teenager.......... and as such it is a fantasy piece but made to be used by a western martial artist . so it is a modern sword!

I thought that the sword should be called sword of the sun , the client named it Thorodan so I guess it may be Thorodan , Sword of the Sun.....
piccies are not so hot I may have to get it back and have it photoes by a pro....
5803832880_7d7f1e85a3_b.jpg
5803832888_9c5883c0aa_b.jpg
5803832890_4038a285e0_b.jpg
5803832878_57f4bf06f4_b.jpg
5803832882_55da3eabb0_b.jpg

You most definitely need to have this sword shot by a pro! The work is absolutely superb and this should be one of the hi-lites of your portfolio and something you show all your clients. The work is absolutely stunning and really shows your command of the craft.
Thanks for posting these and I for one most assuredly want to see those professional pics when they`re done.
Sword of the Sun is an excellent name and truly fitting for this piece.

Wow! That's one of your very best yet, Owen mate! :D We need a drooling smiley on this forum!

Although your photo's are very good, I agree that professional photos would make it even more beautiful.

Is this a very recent piece? I've always loved your work, but it seems to me that you've improved even more since hosting your sword courses.

All the best
Matt Russell

• 1 month later...

.....erm....yer I can't think of anything to say because I'm drooling over the pictures.

On a side note, I noticed you're in the UK and I would love to know where you source your metal from for something like this.

Thanks for all the kind comments.
steel for damascus in the Uk is a little tricky .
there was just a group buy on british blades for some euro spec15n20...I have got it from the US or direct from sweden but quantities make it an expensive investment .
have a look on BB in the cutlers forge .
All the best Owen