I Forge Iron

metal fatigue

Exactly what I mean, I think eliminating the weld across the spring somehow is the solution. Same with welding a post to a spring tool, you never weld across the handle, just in line with it and there will be 80% fewer failures

I agree with Larry here. I learned earily on in my welding carreer to weld in line with a stessed part or repair with splice plates. Never accross.

Yeah I should say John that this is not something I "found" or came to.... It is accepted engineering/welding practice.... You dont weld across something that is intended to flex, You just dont... If you do and it fails and hurts someone you would be found negligent and responsible.. (because you should know better)

Well I guess, but They are not inteded to flex at the weld point. They are intended to flex in the spring, if they flex at the weld it's because it was out of wack... It's not the same thing as welding a post on a tool out on the spring were you create a artificial fulcrum You should not weld something across a flex plane. Granted it would be better if there was no weld, but welding a block to a spring is not the same as welding across a section of material that is designed to flex

Yeah, I've never found anything that held up long term. With enough use it seems anything will break. Even forged from one piece they break in about the same place. If you beef that area way up, they break somewhere else. There might be some ideal design that matches the shape/strength to the stresses involved, but I've yet to find it, so we make due.

That's a great idea I love the pins but I think I would want more rigidity in how my swage was held on the bottom die. What I don't like is the tool moving around like that I have bruised my hands more than once with misaligned tooling under the hammer.
Tim

We normally have a clip that sits over the edge of the bottom die, to stop the swages moving about so much, but Knucklehead normally manages to bounce the swages, land them on the clip and brake it off. If you have the swages rigidly held there is another place for something to break.
Preservation of your hands is due to keeping the job level, and not driving too hard when you dont need too. Sometimes the swage will bounce off the pins but that is due to driving too hard when there is not enough metal left to swage, ie get lighter when you are getting close to the finished size.

Phil

So far I am very happy with my wedge and socket arrangement. I can get the tool on the die where I want it and it stays put. I drop the ram on the tool with the power off so it is seated level on the die. I have never had a break on the lower tool with this arrangement or even had it come loose but my hammer is a peanut compared to what you run. You don't have to tell me about knuckle heads having been one my self at one point. We all have to start somewhere.
Tim