I Forge Iron

Recent sculpture show

Those are very, very nice indeed.
May I ask, how do you get an exhibition like that? Do you have an agent, do you approach galleries personally? It's something of a goal of mine to be in a gallery like that one day. :)

Ideally with enormous price tags on, too! :lol:

Great work Dan, killer show! Looks like you may need to reconsider that steam hammer :D

I have been to Dan's shop, and it still amazes me how he makes and handles all his work by himself, with what he has to work with. If there is anyone who deserves a big hammer it is Dan. Again Dan Nice work!

Those are very, very nice indeed.
May I ask, how do you get an exhibition like that? Do you have an agent, do you approach galleries personally? It's something of a goal of mine to be in a gallery like that one day. :)

Ideally with enormous price tags on, too! :lol:

Thank you. I went to Utep and received my BFA in 1993. The Ruben Center is fairly new,located on the UTEP campus,and has three gallery spaces. In 2010 UTEP Department of Art began an alumni show. Last year it was a group show of several previous students. I sent them several images, and was asked to do a solo show for 2011. I show in other galleries, and always approach them with a bio, artist statement and images of my most recent work.

Dan

I have been to Dan's shop, and it still amazes me how he makes and handles all his work by himself, with what he has to work with. If there is anyone who deserves a big hammer it is Dan. Again Dan Nice work!

Thank you Harold for the comments, I appreciate it. I do wish that the Chambersburg had been a smaller hammer. Are you sure we can't fit that baby in your shop.

Dan

Great work Dan, killer show! Looks like you may need to reconsider that steam hammer :D

Thanks Michael, I'm afraid that hammer is just a little to big for my needs. It is a beautiful hammer.

Dan

To get into galleries see if you have a local art guild. I am a member of the Vegas Artists Guild, and they have lots of info for gallery showings throughout the year all over the states. We have had various gallery operators, as well as city, and state officials talk at our monthly meetings on how to properly submit a portfolio. The main problem they face? People not following the instructions in the packet. If they want 10 pictures, don't send 30 slides, or a CD. If they want a CD of your recent work pertaining to the subject matter don't send slides of non related artwork. It happens pretty often according to them. I don't sell my stuff,rather give it away to friends, so I haven't needed the info like the others who do art for a living.

Forgot to say nice work.

What is the scale of the items pictured?

Thanks,
The tallest piece is around 9' Most of what you see are forged from 2" square and 2" round. Others like the concrete and steel piece are made from 2.5" - 3.0" plate. The concrete weighs around 400#. The piece on the floor with the "X" is 3 1/2" hex bar and 2" square. I upset the hex bars at the ends, and then pressed them together under my press.

Dan

post-13715-0-53290500-1303266134_thumb.j

post-13715-0-65737600-1303266285_thumb.j

post-13715-0-32308100-1303266313_thumb.j

post-13715-0-19869800-1303266332_thumb.j

post-13715-0-64016600-1303266360_thumb.j

post-13715-0-79788000-1303266642_thumb.j

post-13715-0-91271400-1303307820_thumb.j

amazing work man, love how clean it all is, simple lines making strong statements, even more impressive that no powerhammer used.

-fm

I have a 100# hammer that I use quite a bit, however I'm getting to the point where I need something a little larger.
Dan

post-13715-0-32308500-1303306453_thumb.j

Be careful using your pile driver :D

And here I was expecting power hammers, and other big power tools.

Like I said earlier, I have always been amazed at what he does with what he has. Besides that, he is only 5'6" and 130lbs soaking wet with sweet. :lol:

I have a 100# hammer that I use quite a bit, however I'm getting to the point where I need something a little larger.
Dan

Dan,
I am a big fan of big hammers, but your work may benefit more from a few hydraulic presses.
The upsets can be done with a 50 ton press and a finger..though the design of the press would have to account for the length of the stock or a pass through with a pinch plate or wedges or some such.
The drawing of stock and "setting" of the half laps would go real easy with a medium ton press though the drawing will be faster under the hammer you have.

I have a 24 ton for some bending work and 45 ton for general smithing...I have the parts for a 140 ton that I will have together this Summer..I hope..
If you wish to take a trip you are welcome here to use the tools (presses, 3B nazel and the twister that can do 2" square x4' long) to get a feel for where to go...looks like a flight from you to me (tucson to green bay) is $350 or so. Have a look at the videos I have on youtube to get a sense of the tooling in my shop and at other's places.

No doubt there is someone closer with the same or similar tool kit and I encourage you to go there and get an idea of what you need.

Obviously lack of tooling can be worked around and at some point the tools begin to dictate the work rather than the other way around, but all in all I like machines.

Ric

Dan,
I am a big fan of big hammers, but your work may benefit more from a few hydraulic presses.
The upsets can be done with a 50 ton press and a finger..though the design of the press would have to account for the length of the stock or a pass through with a pinch plate or wedges or some such.
The drawing of stock and "setting" of the half laps would go real easy with a medium ton press though the drawing will be faster under the hammer you have.

I have a 24 ton for some bending work and 45 ton for general smithing...I have the parts for a 140 ton that I will have together this Summer..I hope..
If you wish to take a trip you are welcome here to use the tools (presses, 3B nazel and the twister that can do 2" square x4' long) to get a feel for where to go...looks like a flight from you to me (tucson to green bay) is $350 or so. Have a look at the videos I have on youtube to get a sense of the tooling in my shop and at other's places.

No doubt there is someone closer with the same or similar tool kit and I encourage you to go there and get an idea of what you need.

Obviously lack of tooling can be worked around and at some point the tools begin to dictate the work rather than the other way around, but all in all I like machines.

Ric

Ric,
What a generous offer, thank you. Perhaps sometime when it's 112 degrees here in Tucson I'll make a trip to see your set up (that's not far off for us). I actually have an old KR Wilso 75 ton press that I use quite a bit but it utilizes a hand pump, and only pushes. I need something with a motor driven pump to speed things up, and to free up my hands. I'll check your videos out on youtube. I agree that I need more power, or should I say better controlled power. I've actually been looking at all the press designs out there, and may end up building something more suited to my needs. As for a bigger hammer, well you know there is just something about a big air hammer, and my goal is to eventually get a Nazel.

Dan

Ric,
I agree that I need more power, or should I say better controlled power. I've actually been looking at all the press designs out there, and may end up building something more suited to my needs.

Dan

Dan,
Some of the most amazing forge work I have seen is not due to large tools, but great design...the other was due to skilled execution...when they happen at the same time...wonderful.
BUT
Having a tool to provide an adequate level of whatever (power,speed,precision etc) is a good thing when you need it as part of the design....and...at some point...scale is impressive....a forged 40 foot tall thumbtack may not be "art", but I'd go look at it.

Snow is melting now and its a balmy 34F, of course last week in the shop it was 120F at the roof peak...somewhere in the middle you may feel comfortable.

Ric

Dan,
Some of the most amazing forge work I have seen is not due to large tools, but great design...the other was due to skilled execution...when they happen at the same time...wonderful.
BUT
Having a tool to provide an adequate level of whatever (power,speed,precision etc) is a good thing when you need it as part of the design....and...at some point...scale is impressive....a forged 40 foot tall thumbtack may not be "art", but I'd go look at it.

Snow is melting now and its a balmy 34F, of course last week in the shop it was 120F at the roof peak...somewhere in the middle you may feel comfortable.

Ric

Ric,
Familiar with Claes Oldenburg? You should look at his work. Monumental everyday objects. "Tumbling Tacks"

Dan