I Forge Iron

amazing weekend in marble falls with Brian and Lyle

Just wanted to say that Balcones Forge had a great event this weekend at the Bluebonnet demo with Brian Brazeal and Lyle Wynn, These guys really brought it this weekend even with Brian slowly losing his voice I managed to squeeze alot of knowledge in my oh so small brain. Then there was the awesome auction full of awesome items and tons of laughs. One really special thanks to Brain and Lyle for the Flatter so me and Russ can get to makin some hammers!!!! postin pics soon. Thanks again Balcones Forge and Huge thanks to Brian and Lyle for all the knowledge and brain pickin they could take.

I got there Wed. evening about 5:00. They were still working when I left close to 10:00 (which is the way it was every night I was there). Attended the Thursday and Friday tool making class and then the demo on Saturday and Sunday. It is amazing to see what Brian and Lyle can do with hot steel and a hammer. They have incredible power when they strike yet can take a good sized hammer and turn out something as small as a flower on a ring. Hope to be able to put this education to good use. Feel like I need about a weeks vacation to recover.
Lyle, tell your son good luck.

Just got home and have not even unloaded the truck and decided to check in. You guys were great. We had a wonderful time and I took a lot of pictures. I think I will break them up into sections when I post them. Brian has told me so much about everyone at Balcones Forge and I see why. Ya'll have something special going on there and I look forward to coming back again. It would be worth the drive to spend time with you all. Thanks Foaming Mug for starting this post, I will get the pictures on soon. Thanks, Jerry I will, It was a pleasure meeting you and Foaming Mug

Here are some pics. This set is from Tuesday and Wenesday. This was pure forging. Some people ended up making a few things but the main point was half hammer face blows. Brian got everyone to try it and the main response I heard was that people are not used to only hitting one time on each side. Everyone did great and we had a good time. https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/BalconesForgeForgingClass#

This next set is the pics of the tool making on Thursday and Friday, then the pics of the Conference on Saturday and Sunday. John has a beautiful place, and a nice shop. Being able to work on a dirt or small gravel floor was great, while being inside the shop. The auction was great. These people know how to have a good time. Heres the rest of the pics. https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/HammerClassAndDemo#

Here are some pics. This set is from Tuesday and Wenesday. This was pure forging. Some people ended up making a few things but the main point was half hammer face blows. Brian got everyone to try it and the main response I heard was that people are not used to only hitting one time on each side. Everyone did great and we had a good time. https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/BalconesForgeForgingClass#

This next set is the pics of the tool making on Thursday and Friday, then the pics of the Conference on Saturday and Sunday. John has a beautiful place, and a nice shop. Being able to work on a dirt or small gravel floor was great, while being inside the shop. The auction was great. These people know how to have a good time. Heres the rest of the pics. https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/HammerClassAndDemo#

Lots of great pics as usual Lyle. Looks like a good time for all, wish I could have been there.

Good pictures Lyle, looks like everyone had a good time there. Nice "Brazeal Style Anvil" that looks familiar

Clinton, that was the one Ed and I auctioned off before we went to Europe in 2004 in Austin. If it weren't for Balcones forge, we would not have been able to go. They raised over $5000 in that auction, and Sue Murray won it. That is Sue in some of the last pictures picking some of the tools out at my forge that we traded that anvil back for. I have it back now, and I'm going to have Lyle put some new legs on the stand, so you'll be seeing it alot more now. That was my favorite anvil of all time that I've ever worked on. I'll be using it to explain forging again.

I'm glad to have finally got back around the Balcones Forge group. We had a great time! Thank you all for having me back!