I Forge Iron

Tong Making

Fe-Wood

I made a couple pairs of tongs yesterday and when I finished, I realized this is the 3rd or 4th way of making tongs I have learned... Not that I do it well. But I understand the processes. This got me to wondering- How many ways can a pair of tongs be made?

These tong will for forging 2" round into square. I will form the jaws of the other pair of tongs after I have made one of the square parts.
I started out with 6" of 1" round stock for each piece. All forged on the little giant.

post-6253-0-40981100-1300997799_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-31828200-1300997841_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-16988800-1300997883_thumb.jp

Nice work Wood. Nice looking shop too!

Ya Fe does have a nice shop but it is all cluttered up with wood working tools, and way too organized, just look at that wall back there, that is a sure sign of a sick mind I tell you what

Looking good wood, I will bring some potato digger chain when I come up, makes great tongs real springy.
And how is your shoulder? I still have 3 of those big nails to head

Sounds good! Springy tongs are great under the hammer.

Bring a big hammer- We'll have to make a frame for the swage block..

How many ways are there to make a pair of tongs? thats an easy answer... 42.... the answer to life, the universe and everything in it...

thats also the price of tea in china... I'll bet you didn't know that :P

My way or the highway? First, you must figure out how many types of tongs there are, and multiply that number by 42.

Looking at old shop made bolt tongs, it appears that many of them were made of flat stock, one shoulder begins the rein. Another shoulder on the opposite edge, about the stock-width away, begins the curved portion leading to the jaw. Sometimes the jaw was partially hot split, opened and formed into a vee.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

I made a couple pairs of tongs yesterday and when I finished, I realized this is the 3rd or 4th way of making tongs I have learned... Not that I do it well. But I understand the processes. This got me to wondering- How many ways can a pair of tongs be made?

These tong will for forging 2" round into square. I will form the jaws of the other pair of tongs after I have made one of the square parts.
I started out with 6" of 1" round stock for each piece. All forged on the little giant.

Next Grants tricked out set-up this is the slickest thing I have seen:

Ric