I Forge Iron

Finding a Blacksmithing Group near you

Blacksmithing Groups and Organizations   BLACKSMITH GROUPS FORUM

One of the best kept secrets on IForgeIron is the world wide list of Look under the pages tab.
As we find new groups we add them to the list so it is constantly being updated. If you know of a group not on our list, please let us know so we can add it to the list.

The best way to jump start your blacksmithing is to join a local group. Tell them you found them via IForgeIron.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hello all. I'm posting this as a "shout out" to all of the smith's in Central Texas. I'm interested in perhaps starting a smithing group near Waco, TX. or at least trying to locate one or two folks interested in blacksmithing, in the area. There are several great smithing groups in Texas, the problem is geography. I was once a member of Balcones Forge but it was tough to make the meetings facing a two to three hour trip, one way. That being said, if there is anyone interested in getting together and maybe starting a group or doing a few projects, when it's cool enough to startup the forge, just shoot me a PM and we'll see what happens. Thanks.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried the link above looking for somewhere that I can start trying to learn how to do Blacksmithing. I live about 50 minutes south of Chicago in Joliet. Does anyone know places in the general area that I might be able to start??

I tried the link above looking for somewhere that I can start trying to learn how to do Blacksmithing. I live about 50 minutes south of Chicago in Joliet. Does anyone know places in the general area that I might be able to start??

If you had posted a couple weeks ago, you would have learned that there was a 3 day blacksmith conference (one of the best) in Pontiac in the middle of July.....

There are "many" outstanding conferences in the Midwest, all through the year. I live in Virginia and attend several of them each year. The best one (known as Quad States) is coming up in seven weeks (Sept 23-25) in Troy, Ohio.

There are others that will be closer to you sooner or later. I'm sure you will learn about them here.

Also, I suggest you "find" the guilds closest to where you live and attend their meetings.

I've taken a seasonal job that brings me to Big Sky country every spring. I'll be in Dillon until the end of Sept and will return next spring. I'm looking to connect with some blacksmiths here in MT. I'm not looking for an instructor, just someone to hang with and bend some metal--though there's always stuff to learn.
Thanks.

Montana is Big Sky country. I don't know what's around Dillon. Will you have wheels to travel? Bill & Pam Moore have a production shop a little ways from Big Timber, "Bar Mill Iron Forge." Tom Wolfe is the farriery instructor at Montana State U in Bozeman. He a farrier and does a little blacksmithing...has a twinkle in the eye and a great sense of humor. Tom is a friend of Steve Fontanini of Jackson, Wyoming. Steve is a good smith and sells the "Rathole" anvils which are cast of quality steel in Arizona and finished by Steve in Wyoming. Your search engines can find these guys. I've met them all. Good people.

http://www.turleyforge.com

Jim Bollinger is a successful blacksmith in Hamilton Montana. He's an old friend of mine from the 1970's.Tell him Eric said Hi.There is a fellow near Butte who makes great hammers.I bought one from him at NWBA Conference last year.I bought a nice Little Giant 25 from a fellow in Butte last year...Ask around . There is a great statewide blacksmith assoc. there. Here is the email address of the smith in Butte from whom I bought the hammer: Wildwestironwork@aol.com . Good luck, Eric

Hello,

My name is Cody Aucoin. I am 26 and I live in Lafayette LA, and blacksmithing has always interested me. I love the idea of taking metal and giving it shape and form. I have always thought being a blacksmtih would be thrilling and rewarding.

So aside from the little above information on myself, can someone recommend any good books or local groups? I would like nothing more than to start pursuing this.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Anyone in the mid-michigan area (Lansing) that would like to get started in blacksmithing or just get more connected to other smiths, can check out Blacksmith's Of Woldumar. We meet monthly for demos and general discussion and we have built our own smithy within the beautiful Woldumar Nature Center. Anyone in our group is free to use the coal forge and smithy for personal use or to give demonstrations to the general public that streams through the miles of wooded river trails every day.
Check out: www.woldumar.org and contact the office staff for info and phone numbers.
Or just send me a note and I would be happy to give you more info.

• 2 weeks later...

The closest b/s group to you is the Illinois Valley Blacksmith Association. However, most of their activities are in Pontiac or south of Pontiac. I happen to give b/s lessons at Kline Creek Farm in Winfield, il. The farm is operated by the Du Page County Forest Preserve . If you are interested in seeing the shop , drop in when i am at the farm. I am generally at the farm on the first and third saturdayof the month and other days by chance. we are presently looking for volunteers to blacksmith. we will train you for free if you volunteer. You can look up the farm as well as the IVBS on the internet. I hope that this information answers your questions. Bob Mahon

PS - The above message is for " SEIMKO " Sorry I left your name of my reply. Bob Mahon

• 3 weeks later...