I Forge Iron

Scrap metal sculpture

Tall Grass, Really nice grill you have made there. I see cast iron parts like that broken up at the iron pour every year and try to save a few. Good on you for saving them.
Scrapatoz, Great looking Swagman! You have an uncanny use of parts to impart a life like look to scrap steel and iron. Wonderful stufff!!!!!

Hey Scrapartoz,

Glad to have you back! The Swagman is really cool. Every time I look at your sculptures it's like a treasure hunt to find new cool items I didn't see before. For example here is something I found on the first sheep that I kind of wish you didn't use. I would love to rummage through your scrap piles. I can only imagine the great stuff!!

post-15181-0-44122500-1332251552_thumb.j

Also thanks for having us Google your web site. That search led me to Sculpture.net. It’s a really neat forum and a ton of really talented sculptures and info.

JGRAFF

Thanks Bentiron And JGraff. Me not being a blacksmith didnt know the hammer head was anything unusual. What is it used for in your trade? cheers andrew

It's just a small cross-peen hammer head. Nothing really special, I don't think. The round side is for rounding or flattening but if you hit with the blade side it is for spreading the metal out and away from the blade. Or it can be used for detail work (like the veins in a forged leaf). I drew a picture for you (the red lines represent the forces on the hot metal) kind of hard to explain.

post-15181-0-36078500-1332272818_thumb.j

I’m just an old tool buff and beginner hammer collector. I also see a lot of old adjustable wrenches and open ended wrenches (which are a dime a dozen) but I’m just poking fun.

Thank you JGraff for that explanation and drawing. i guess if i knew the real value and use of each and all items i would be reluctant to use them. one of my greatest joys is watching the public look at my sculptures and argue about the use of an item or tell
each other stories from their long past that relate to a particular item. For many of the more 'older folk' the items can be a spark that ignites a long forgotten memory in their childhood or time with their father.
cheers andrew

Thank you JGraff for that explanation and drawing. i guess if i knew the real value and use of each and all items i would be reluctant to use them. one of my greatest joys is watching the public look at my sculptures and argue about the use of an item or tell
each other stories from their long past that relate to a particular item. For many of the more 'older folk' the items can be a spark that ignites a long forgotten memory in their childhood or time with their father.
cheers andrew

This far outweighs any monetary value a collector would put on the old items used here.

Thank you RSmith and JGraff .im pleased to see that you guys understand wot its all about.
I have posted a few 'smalls' I made before Christmas. Given the size of the dog I am going to build and the size of the parts i will use you will note a loss of accurate detai and the appearance that these are more 'chunky' . I dont want to use small components as these would take forever with very little financial return, although "chunky' (even a bit abstract???) I love the small ones i made.
my favourites arev the piglet and the dancer made from 2 pairs of boltcutters. also note the kangaroos pouch is part of a forge fan gearbox. cheers andrew
rooster1.jpg
dancer1.jpg
dancer3.jpg
roo.jpg
piglet.jpg
mantis.jpg
duck8.jpg
crab.jpg
cat2.jpg
beagle.jpg
alsation.jpg

i am so out of date with this thread....!!!!!! but scrapartoz, your work is such a joy to see, your expression increases with each piece, the shearer man is SO wonderfully done, they all are, you HAVE your language right there and it is natural and fluentand expressive, it all puts a massive smile on my face! blinkin marvellous!!!!!!
also , the other guys on the last page, some of whom were putting their wpork down (cant get the names without losing the post ) but they were all, also, expressive, individual, and speak loud and clear about the joy the maker has taken in the making . i love it ALL! makes my day, all of it.

ps scrap - your floor and general environment look like a total heaven, very exciting stimulating workplace - i bet you are a happy man when your in there!

Thanks Beth , Yes the workshop is a special place. Creation is very personal , fills a hidden void in us all and is very rewarding..