I Forge Iron

dinner bell jig

Well, I started back out in the shop today. We've been doing more construction to try to use up the wood that is stacked where my air compressor needs to go.

I decided to go with "Mainly Bob's" suggestion of free-forming the scrolls on the dinner bells. (See the scroll jigs thread.)
It was taking two heats last October, but on the first try this year I got it in one heat easy. This was due to switching to a lighter hammer to do the scroll. I'm tapering with a short-handle three-pound sledge, so I have been rolling the scrolls with that too. But the bigger hammer is absolutely useless. It takes very little force to scroll a 4-inch taper in 3/8" round, so I was just slowing myself down using a three pound. I switched to a one pound ball peen and it's like eating cake now! Super easy and the entire scoll can be done, evened up, and brushed before it gets into black heat.
Funny how we overlook the smallest most obvious things sometimes!

Now all that was off topic!
I did make the triangle jig for cold bending the dinner bells. I had thought about using stobs in a piece of plate steel as someone had suggested over on the scroll jigs thread. I have a good piece of 3/8" plate that I'm not really using, and I thought about drilling and tapping 3/8" holes with the taps "Spears" so kindle gave me. However, I need some more book knowledge on threading before I try it in the shop. So anyway, I made a clamp-in-the-vice jig for cold bending triangles.
Enough talk.....you're probably screaming for photos! Sorry, I forgot to take any!

JUST KIDDING!

The triangle: 1x1/4 FB
DSC00662.jpg

The bending method.
DSC00667.jpg

DSC00666.jpg

The fork is 1 inch round bar with a 2 foot-long handle!
DSC00670.jpg

This is why I don't make hammers! LOL
DSC00671.jpg

Works good! Some adjustments could be made, but it turns out a good even bell!

Dave,

That is a great looking jig you've made. Question time.

1. How long does it take you to turn out a bell with the jig?
2. Is the Hole in the last photo for hanging the bell?
3. Can I see a photo of a completed bell.

Thanks for the photos and tutorial. You are a good teacher.

Mark<><

Oh yea! Bring on spring and summer!

Mr. Mark:

I'll run out a few more bells tomorrow as I'm still getting the hang of where to position the bell before bending. Just a little off and by the time I make the second bend, wew....it can get ugly. I'm probably going to make a stopper to pull the scroll end up against so that each bell is placed exactly the same.

I will try to get those extra photos tomorrow!

I will also get a start to finish time and a breakdown time of making dinner bells tomorrow!

The hole in the last photo is in the handle of the bending tool.....it is just for hanging the bending fork by.

Dave, nice job as always. The pivot points at the corners are great ideas.

Two points on making jigs that might make bending easier and faster.

1) putting the jig on a plate or otherwise supporting the piece at the bends makes it a lot easier and faster because you will not have to worry about positioning and re-positioning.

2) step-down jigs. As your jigs get more complex having jig parts for the first bends higher than later bends allows for easier clearance of the jig parts that will be used later. As the bending progresses, the project steps down lower into the jig to engage the jig for the next bend. In the attached photograph you will notice that the last bend is performed by dropping the hot iron downwards so that it can engage the part of the jig that are shorter. Also note that the curl on the end of the cheese cutter sets against a piece of angle iron that acts as a stop. Thus a jig can have multiple steps and provide for more complicated and numerous bends than demonstrated in the photograph.

In a step-down jig it is not possible to provide support for all of the bends. But when you can support the bends, it is especially handy with heavier/longer pieces.

post-2340-0-57950100-1297341372_thumb.jp

Mr. Mark

I timed the bell making today!

36 inches of 3/8" round with a 12 inch dinger.
Taper both the bell stock and he dinger.
Scroll bell taper.
Finial scroll and circle the dinger.
Cold bend the bell, and coat all hot in beeswax.

12 minutes!

I don't have the pictures yet because I am still tweaking the jig to get everything even!

Mr. George:
I don't have any problem with ring. A customer will never know the difference if it does dull the ring some.

No offence, but the paint will chip off big time the first time it gets used.....that's why I use the wax.
Oil might be a better choice to prevent dulling the ring!

just my thoughts!

RHROCKER

Good questions! I've heard them called dinner gongs as well. I doubt that every farmstead from east to west cost had one, as so often portrayed in every "old timey" movie.

Usually a town or settlement would have a town bell (often located in a church tower or a general watch tower,) to warn of impending danger or attack. This would be more like a traditional bell type instead of a triangle bell, as much more sound would be needed to call in farmers from outlying fields, possibly a half mile or more away. Even now with traffic, a cedar shavings mill, and farm implement noises, I can hear the church bell from a church 2 1/2 miles away on a clear day. Take away all the modern noises and a "traditional bell" type could be heard from quite a ways away.

I do not know about a "standard" size or design!

Here are some revisions to the original jig.

I rounded up the corners quite a bit and found that change to be a great help.
DSC00718.jpg

I added a stopper that helps me place the bell correctly on the jig everytime!
DSC00716.jpg

Next I added a little "clip" that keeps the side of the bell from bulging when I bend it on the corner. This "clip" is snug and is welded onto the jig right before the first bend!
DSC00717.jpg

I could not weld a similar "clip" before the second bend for obvious reasons so I made another snug clip that can be placed on the bell after the first bend is done and just before the second bend.
DSC00720.jpg

This is how that clip works!
DSC00722.jpg

The jig that turns out a bell that looks like this!
DSC00723.jpg

A little tightening in the vise turn out this!
DSC00724.jpg

Here are two bells that came off the jig. The one on the left is waxed and the one on the right is not finished yet!
DSC00725.jpg

Your finished bells really are nice. Can't recall if I've seen the dinger (ringer?) yet, but it probably will hang on the bottom part right? Does your bending fork ever have a tendency to bind a little in the pipe you used in the corners? It looks like you may have filed a little on the one leg that goes in the pipe. If it does bind a little, you could weld (from the topside) a washer on the leg so that the fork will slide into the tube, but not go as far as it's doing now. It's probably fine though. Great post, many thanks! What's next?

I did grind down the fork quite a bit! I used one inch pipe and one inch solid bar and so you can guess how that worked.....just what I have on hand though.

It fits snug but not stiff, meaning it rotates smoothly but has no room to spare. It was a little snug to start with, but I got the bending fork hot and rotated it inside the pipe and that sized it perfect.

Yes I need to get a picture of the dinger up! I've changed how I do them slightly so I'm still working kinks out.....literally! Oh and yes they do hang on the bottom of the bell!

• 8 years later...