I Forge Iron

socketed spear

are you going to haft it or just have another spearhead lying around? :) because i usually end up with a spearhead lying on my bench for a long time until i decide to haft it or store it. anyone else have a hard time finding a shaft long enough and straight enough to use with a spearhead? its just been bothering me for a while now and i figuerd now is as good a time as any to ask.

one more question Sam, what is the overall weight? since its steel i would expect it to be fairly light.

Ed Steinkirchner

• 2 weeks later...

are you going to haft it or just have another spearhead lying around? :) because i usually end up with a spearhead lying on my bench for a long time until i decide to haft it or store it. anyone else have a hard time finding a shaft long enough and straight enough to use with a spearhead? its just been bothering me for a while now and i figuerd now is as good a time as any to ask.

one more question Sam, what is the overall weight? since its steel i would expect it to be fairly light.

Ed Steinkirchner

for any polearms i go and get a wooden shovelhandle and re shape it for what i need, pikes are another story, i havnt made many spears

Lookin` for a particular type of wood Sam?
If you`d be happy with a native New England wood I may be able to scare something up that has been riven rather than cut so it`d be much stronger than a sawn spindle from the lumber yard or a bought handle.
Can you work a rough blank yourself?

• 1 month later...

Sam, that is a really nice spear head! With the socket wrapped, It looks to me like a fine dagger as well. How do you envision it being used? Would you consider making a belt sheath for it, or is it only intended to be a spear? Fantastic work as always.

Robert

I missed page 2 of this thread!

Sam, That looks nice, We just watched the movie Duma last night and they find a spear point similar to yours and use it for their safety. It is a little bigger than yours and it made me want to make one :D
Rob

Rob, thanks! GO for it! the tools I posted are easily used by hand too, I have no doubt you could make one in a day. I will have to watch Duma, it looks good.

Bob, I'd love some hickory or white oak if you could find any. I can work a rough blank no problem.

Robert, thank you. It's pretty handy as a dagger, but it really is meant to be mounted. but it could be a dagger no problem and a belt sheath would rock, a few guys do socketed handles for knives and daggers. where in north Jersey are you? Do I know you?

Hey Sam, no, you don't know me. I'm another newbie to this Craft/Art. I live in Fair Lawn, which is close to the New Jersey Steel Baron, located in Hawthorne. I still haven't made a trip over to that store.

You've made huge strides since your early posts. I know that with training/practice and a measure of natural aptitude, I can do this as well. Thanks for showing me what is possible. :D

Robert