I Forge Iron

Any specialty hardy/Vise tools?

KYBOY

Just thought we might have a post for unusual or special use hardy/vise tools..We cobbled together this hardy tool to hold axe blanks while we split the end to accept the high carbon bits..Its pretty handy..
newpics127.jpg

Only a blacksmith would make a tool to make a tool! That's a great idea well done!!!

Well the first thing every post vise needs is a set of spacers to drop in on the other side when you have a piece you need to crank down on that's long enough it can't go in the middle.

Generally I split the top of a short section of square stock and fold it out and flatten it---it use a big postvise and so can actually forge it in place. I also stamp the size on the top as a lot of students can't measure with their eyes---yet. (for the small ones I will spiral the top)

For knifemaking a 3 bar straightener is nice to have: 3 rods with the tops forged to fit over the vise jaw so you and set them up 2 on one haw and one on the other and space them to put controlled pressure right on the bend point.

Bending forks for either hardy or post vise.

Hold down for the hardy

Small bic for the hardy---makes turning small stock or forging small cones easy

Simple but handy tools