I Forge Iron

Where to buy wrought iron

I know that wrought iron can be found at flea markets and antique shows but I don't know of many around here. I am wanting to start using wrought iron on some tomahawks and I was wonder if anyone knows where to buy it. I found this site, http://www.realwroughtiron.com/ Has anyone bought form here before or know anywhere that I can get it?

Thanks for the help,

-Andrew

Small quantities are frequently available on eBay....

Otherwise you could locate small junkyards (rural areas) and ask if they have any wood wheel rims. They aren't ALWAYS wrought iron, but most of the time they are. The last time I came back from North Dakota, I brought 12 rims with me. Sometimes they are poor quality wrought, but sometimes they are pretty good.

The ABANA magazines frequently have someone advertising wrought iron for sale

There is always someone selling wrought iron at Quad States.

They're based in Ironbridge I believe, I met Chris Topp there a few years ago at a BABA convention. He seemed a decent enough Bloke when I spoke to him and knows a lot about wrought iron, good Smith too.
IF you can't get hold of any wrought from your side of the pond then he's well worth a phone call IMO

I know that wrought iron can be found at flea markets and antique shows but I don't know of many around here. I am wanting to start using wrought iron on some tomahawks and I was wonder if anyone knows where to buy it. I found this site, http://www.realwroughtiron.com/ Has anyone bought form here before or know anywhere that I can get it?

Thanks for the help,

-Andrew

FWIW, I've actually gotten the chance to work with some of the wrought iron from Chris Topp's operation. I had a client that wanted REAL wrought iron nails. I couldn't find any local wrought iron.........BUT the client had family in UK and ordered ONE 20' piece of 1/2" square stock. Sounds crazy but.........IF I remember correctly.......the iron was $175 and the shipping was also $175. Surprised me when she told me how much it cost..................$350 for 20' of 1/2" square. :blink::o I'd guess that would equate to an "ARM AND A LEG"....... :lol:
Gotta admit......it was a "treat" to forge and work with.

I have several tons of wrought iron chain and anchors ,that we work up as we need ,if you only want a small amount ,posting might be the cheapest way ,you are wellcome to a few links of some of the smaller chain , the big links are big ,if you cover the post, if you look on youtube under bruce wilcock there is a clip working some of the smaller links up into mooring rings ,to give you a idea as to the size of the links

Andrew, I have some I have listed for sale on here previosly here is the old add http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/16341-wrought-iron-bolts-for-sale/page__p__166043#entry166043 PM me if you still need some and we'll see what we can work out.
Chris

Bruce Wilcock, really appreciate it, what is the best way for me to contact you about shipping and paying you? I was intending to only get a small amount for now just to try it out.

winterbear, thanks for the link, I need something larger than 5/8" for tomahawks but I will remember that incase I need it for something else.

-Andrew

Most knife folk *like* the lower grade wrought iron as was typically used for wagon tyres. I sent out some very nice 1.25" dia WI to a friend who didn't like it as it had no "character" when etched, looked to probably be triply refined.

So what do you want it for? If for the etched "character" finding an old wagon tyre shouldn't be that much of a problem in TX, it hasn't been a problem for me in AR, OK or NM.

If you want to layer it up into a billet and want the "good" stuff I could probably do a deal with you. I seem to be able to find it faster than I can use it!

Or there is always http://www.oldglobewood.com/real-wrought-iron-rods.html (but I'd be cheaper!)

Andrew, i have sent you a note ,iron is more like timber ,each piece has its own charecter, two years back i got the entire chain and anchors salvaged off a Swedish sailing bark, the iron is the nicest i have worked for a long time , the genuine butter patting iron, i havnt started on the anchors yet over a ton each, they will be worth getting rolled down to flats

• 6 years later...

Dear Angela; this thread is discussing wrought iron the material and not ornamental iron called wrought iron.  The last known factory producing real wrought iron the material went out of business in the 1970's so the current stock is mainly recycled 100 year old iron.

Perhaps your post would go best in the buying/selling forum know here as "tailgating".