I Forge Iron

How about some old tools?

Stu, there are now quite a few of us who might be prepared to go to $20 per tong and some dills among us that will go to $30 or $40. My advice next time would be to "keep mum" (hold your tongue) until they're in hand.

After your post it will be interesting to see how they go. Oh, I wish you luck in the bidding and hasten to add it won't be against me.

Also, too as well, $10 (the current bid) will buy a fair amount of material to make your own tongs, or put enough fuel in your vehicle to have a "poke around" for suitable scrap.

Last bit of advice...don't ever underestimate the amount of interest in old tools.

Stu, there are now quite a few of us who might be prepared to go to $20 per tong and some dills among us that will go to $30 or $40. My advice next time would be to "keep mum" (hold your tongue) until they're in hand.

After your post it will be interesting to see how they go. Oh, I wish you luck in the bidding and hasten to add it won't be against me.

Also, too as well, $10 (the current bid) will buy a fair amount of material to make your own tongs, or put enough fuel in your vehicle to have a "poke around" for suitable scrap.

Last bit of advice...don't ever underestimate the amount of interest in old tools.

Hi Strine, tell you what, if you can read and write Japanese well enough to sign up for Yahoo Japan's online auctions, you are welcome to these tongs :D

Scrap yards are not easy to find here, and if you do find one, they are often closed to the public.

$10 don't buy much gas in Japan :rolleyes::D

Cheers!

Stu,

Those look good. Most tongs seem to go for about $15-$25 at flea markets around my area, but I only know others that have bought them. I don't have any tongs, but have a nice selection over at Ardenwood. :P

I haven't gotten that far yet, working on some tools before I get to tongs. Tongs will be something that I will make, I hope, but I'm not adverse to buying them.

I've seen some pretty nice new ones for about $25-$35.

Sadly the first two tongs are the most useful without reforging;-) and the hoop tong(the 2nd from the top) is probably the nicest and most useful of the whole lot... Once you learn how to forge nice tongs you will likely retire some of the old clunky tongs you are happy to aquire right now;-) I have always been picky about tools, and prefer to use the tongs that I forge myself, they are lighter and springier and fatigue my hands less... Ill fitting tongs are dangerous, so reforge the other tongs to fit the work you are using...

Well I did not get the tongs, they went for just slightly over what I put in for a bid ($50) I was out with the family on Sunday when the bidding ended, so I could not get to a computer, but even if I could have, I don't know if I'd gone much higher, as I do think making my own tongs would be a good thing to do.

Thanks for all the input just the same!

Cheers!