I Forge Iron

Radient heating

My friend showed me some work with a Fresnel lens out of a 52" projector TV. Fried the concrete really fast.

I saw a film on a solar power plant, possibly Yermo CA, where they focused all of the reflectors on I believe a 1" thick steel plate. It literally only took a few seconds to melt through it.

Here in the desert we have an abundance of solar opportunities, and I see great potential for it. There is no one way to get us off the oil, but through several types;solar, wind,nuke,geothermal, we should be able to put a significant dent in it.

I saw a film on a solar power plant, possibly Yermo CA, where they focused all of the reflectors on I believe a 1" thick steel plate. It literally only took a few seconds to melt through it.

I remember that solar plant. I did my last 18 months at Fort Irwin. Just to look at the light tower was a surreal experience.

So, correct me if i'm wrong. To make ourselves a forge all we would need to do is widen the focus from the size of a pin head to a wider area to lower the temp? and we would have blacksmithing fun aplenty, when the sun shines. B)
Alright, who's going to make one first?

I remember that solar plant. I did my last 18 months at Fort Irwin. Just to look at the light tower was a surreal experience.

Yeah, it is kind of trippy the first time you see it in operation. Also when the reflectors are just aimed up they create a weird effect that looks like a huge fountain made of light.

a fe w years back i built a crude , and i mean crude parabolic reflector out of osb plywood w/reflecticve foil. 30 to 40 square feet would heat a frozen borito in a half hour. was an extreemly crude reflector