I Forge Iron

90 degree bending jig?

Traditional method: Square stock you do freehand over the anvil (half blows) or in the vice. Always at a high heat. Some folks upset the bend prior and others don't Round stock you need the upsetting style (vice) tool so as not to kill the round stock dimension with hammer marks. IMHO, The more diffcult of the two.

Some guys half cut the angle at the mark, and use a glut weld (forge or electric) to make up the difference on the missing material, trim, forge and grind to dimension. Not traditional but accurate, fast and effective. if you have a lot of these to get done...learn this technique.

Most of the work comes down to how much time is involved. In many case other than strictly traditional endevours, the more time spent on a project the less you make. Figure out your shop rate, material costs, man hours etc and plan accordingly. Yes...time is money.

An interesting mantra to keep in mind, Whats the most expensive thing in the world ...ans. "free time".

Enjoy.

Peter

A hossfeld bender is a universal jig which will bend many shapes of stock to many different angles. There is also a competitor which offers a very similar also american made machine for less money. The best would be to find a hossfeld bender used. They are very versatile and can be set up to bend pipe and angle iron also. It is possible to build your own hossfeld bender too. I did, and still use it. I made mine exactly the same as the hossfeld and can use their dies or ones I make myself.