I Forge Iron

tools

Here is a hot cut hardy I made from a section of rear leaf spring from a '78 Ford HD P/U - Cut-offHardie.jpg.

The cutting blade is welded to a piece of 1" square bar stock taht fits in the hardy hole. After welding the whole thing was heat treated - heated to critical, soaked for 5 minutes and quenched in 104 degree (F) canola oil, then tempered at 400 degrees F for two hours. It works GREAT! I've cut 1/2 leaf spring steel (orange hot) almost in have with one blow fom a 6# sledge and never even dulled the edge! (the white spot on the edge is just a pice of cloth that go caught on it while wiping it off for the photo - my bad).

Prints ?? Not exactly sure what you mean.
But how about taking a look at this-

If that's not what you're looking for, try spending a few weeks reading the forums and browsing the gallery (that's what I did when I first joined) you'll find more info and ideas on this site than you can possibly imagine...maybe not specificaly related to what you're doing...but one thing leads to another... :P

New Kid,

Five forum topics down from Blacksmithing, general discussion there is a subtopic called tools. There is all kinds of info there and these are the people to talk to about tools.
Never feel bad about asking questions. Its the only way to learn.

Mark<><

p.s. Did your parents give you a first name or shall we pick one for you? You know that at some time you will no longer be the "New Kid".

New Kid,

Five forum topics down from Blacksmithing, general discussion there is a subtopic called tools. There is all kinds of info there and these are the people to talk to about tools.
Never feel bad about asking questions. Its the only way to learn.

Mark<><

p.s. Did your parents give you a first name or shall we pick one for you? You know that at some time you will no longer be the "New Kid".

I vote josh or zack, if "the new kid" doesn't already have a first name

There is a show on one of the learning type channels called "How it's made" or something like that. It is neat to see them use machines to make the items but what always amazed me was who designed the machine and tools to make the thingy. The tools to make things has always held my attention more than the actual product.
Thats why I look forward to making my own tools to make my own thingy's.

Why buy a tool if you can make one. We will all have our limits but we can push the envelope a little too. Happy tool making!
Mark<><