I Forge Iron

At Last.....................

As I had stated in a previous thread, I had a Hay Budden that a lady gave my mother, over 30 years ago, which originally weighed 200 Lbs., that someone had knocked the heel off it. Being a freebee, I couldn't very well object to the gift. It languished on my shop floor for thirty years. A very good friend of mine, named Jim Kieffer, a genius of a blacksmith, offered to repair it last year. He forged a wrought iron heel under a hydraulic press which upset it, then he forge-welded a high carbon steel plate to the heel that he had made. It was broken off at the hardy hole; no doubt some fool tried to force a hardy into the hole too big for the hole. My friend then, using his tandem forges and a capable assistant, forge welded the new heel to the rest of the anvil.
The result is magnificent, a beautiful, beautifully proportioned hay budden anvil that rings like a church bell, which is at lEAST as good as new. Jim winkingly said to me, as I rolled away down his driveway, "please don't break this heel off"! I am attaching pictures, which I just took in my living room, so please forgive the library table and the grandfather clock in the background. I am going to use this anvil while doing demonstrations at craft fairs and reenactments.

post-10332-039115800 1286491588_thumb.jp

post-10332-069544500 1286491603_thumb.jp

post-10332-053829900 1286491621_thumb.jp

post-10332-064789200 1286491638_thumb.jp

post-10332-076843200 1286491651_thumb.jp

post-10332-040383700 1286491677_thumb.jp

Stewart,
Very nice. Jim Kiefer is the man! I to am a recipient of his kindness, he aprenticed me every Saturday on and off for about 2 years. He also hooked me up with my first power hammer, a Champion #0. He is demonstrating at my hammer in on October 23rd. Perryville, MD. Harrismetalsmith.com
Stewart I gotta meet you some time, we have more in common than I realized.

Wharton Esherick,in my mind was neither a sculptor nor a painter.He was a magician.
Anyone who has had the pleasure of visiting his shop which is now a museum can plainly see the works of a man who knew how to create illusions and saw things not for what they were but for their potential.
This world was his toy box,through his mind and hands all things were possible.He mixed alchemy,magic and art.
A truly great and visionary man.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...