I Forge Iron

"Flaming Rose" Mosaic Fighter

Graham Fredeen

Hey folks,

Been a long while since I've been on to share any of my new work, so thought it was about time.

I thought you folks might like to see a special project I've kept under wraps for awhile.

This is my first foray into more advanced patternwelding techniques and my first complex mosaic pattern. Didn't know exactly what the outcome would be, but I think the result was great :D . I'm definately addicted to mosaics now and I'll be cranking out a lot more as soon as I can squeeze in some more shop time.

This knife is the first knife I've had professionally photographed, and the first time I have worked with a sheathmaker besides myself. Figured I'd better do it right, so I enlisted the help of Paul Long and Jim Cooper. The experience with these two gentleman was fantastic to say the least. They are definately artists in their own right, and phenonimally skilled in their respective crafts, and their service is impecible. While this was the first time I had the pleasure of working with these two, it certainly won't be the last ;)

I sent the knife down to Paul, and told him to make it a right handed sheath and to "have fun with it." I gave him free reign with things and he delievered an amazing sheath, with beaver insert and an overlay. I still don't know how Paul can be so good with leather! (makes me a bit jealous, lol)

I had Paul send it over to Jim Cooper after he was done. I'll let the results speak for themselves:

orig.jpg

I ended up calling the pattern "flaming rose". Had a few folks tell me it looked like some flowers, others thought fire, so I put em together. Jim had the idea to put "Flaming Rose" in the picture tag line, so I decided to call this guy the "Flaming Rose Fighter."

Blade is about: 6"
Overall: 12.5"
W pattern damascus for the guard and spacer
Stabalized California Buckeye for the handle, with a small stainless pin in the middle.

Hope everyone enjoys it. I certainly enjoyed making it and getting to work with two men who are at the top of their respective crafts!

Thanks everyone. I greatly enjoy all the comments, compliments and feedback from folks.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that doesnt like that knife... the only way i could not like that knife was if i got stabbed by it... even then I couldnt stay mad at it for long...

awsome job, as allways graham.

:D Thats got to be one of my favorite things said about this knife, too funny! Thanks!

Hey folks,

Been a long while since I've been on to share any of my new work, so thought it was about time.

I thought you folks might like to see a special project I've kept under wraps for awhile.

This is my first foray into more advanced patternwelding techniques and my first complex mosaic pattern. Didn't know exactly what the outcome would be, but I think the result was great :D . I'm definately addicted to mosaics now and I'll be cranking out a lot more as soon as I can squeeze in some more shop time.

This knife is the first knife I've had professionally photographed, and the first time I have worked with a sheathmaker besides myself. Figured I'd better do it right, so I enlisted the help of Paul Long and Jim Cooper. The experience with these two gentleman was fantastic to say the least. They are definately artists in their own right, and phenonimally skilled in their respective crafts, and their service is impecible. While this was the first time I had the pleasure of working with these two, it certainly won't be the last ;)

I sent the knife down to Paul, and told him to make it a right handed sheath and to "have fun with it." I gave him free reign with things and he delievered an amazing sheath, with beaver insert and an overlay. I still don't know how Paul can be so good with leather! (makes me a bit jealous, lol)

I had Paul send it over to Jim Cooper after he was done. I'll let the results speak for themselves:

orig.jpg

I ended up calling the pattern "flaming rose". Had a few folks tell me it looked like some flowers, others thought fire, so I put em together. Jim had the idea to put "Flaming Rose" in the picture tag line, so I decided to call this guy the "Flaming Rose Fighter."

Blade is about: 6"
Overall: 12.5"
W pattern damascus for the guard and spacer
Stabalized California Buckeye for the handle, with a small stainless pin in the middle.

Hope everyone enjoys it. I certainly enjoyed making it and getting to work with two men who are at the top of their respective crafts!

I'm speechless. It's amazing.