Blacksmiths and Beards

Blacksmiths and Beards  

440 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a beard?

• Yes, I have a full beard
    • Yes, I have a goatee
    • No, I'm clean shaven
    • No, I couldn't grow a beard if I wanted to
    • No, of course I don't have a beard - I'm a woman!

i have a full beard its about a foot long, i dont shave and havn't for many many years lol, the most i do is trim the stash and still only when i end up eatting it lol.ppl keep asking if im hot with a beard but i guess im so used to it its no worst than anyone else on a hot day, the funny thing is i only grew my beard when i started blacksmithing and didn't have "time" to shave anymore :)the plus side of having a beard is it keeps the heat of the forge from your skin, you can store food in there for later...and you cant tell if your face is dirty.... :)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've worked places where OSHA or insurance regs said NO beards due to potential respirator seal problems. It doesn't take but a little wiff of sulphur dioxide or hydrogen sulphide to change a protester's tune. I know I started shaving every morning after my first tiny sniff, working an inspection outfit on the north slope.

As to my main reason for replying with a quote is. The Odd years are my FAVORITES.:D

Frosty the Lucky.

There is a guy I occasionally get in a sword fight with (fencing) who sports a full beard. He mentioned once when the subject of beards came up that some number of years ago the company he was working for told him he'd have to shave so a respirator would fit properly. At that time somebodies regs (may have changed the rules since then) have a requirement that if a respirator was needed and the employee had a beard, the company was required to supply a full face respirator that would fit properly.

ron

There is a guy I occasionally get in a sword fight with (fencing) who sports a full beard. He mentioned once when the subject of beards came up that some number of years ago the company he was working for told him he'd have to shave so a respirator would fit properly. At that time somebodies regs (may have changed the rules since then) have a requirement that if a respirator was needed and the employee had a beard, the company was required to supply a full face respirator that would fit properly.

ron

This will fly with some outfits but a no beards or no job policy isn't discrimination so most outfits'll send you looking if you insist.

Frosty the Lucky.

This will fly with some outfits but a no beards or no job policy isn't discrimination so most outfits'll send you looking if you insist.

Frosty the Lucky.

Yeh till we sue for huge bucks. I have had my gotee and stash for over 40 yrs.
Wife has never seen my face. other answer is can ya draw faster or shoot streighter
ken.

Yeh till we sue for huge bucks. I have had my gotee and stash for over 40 yrs.
Wife has never seen my face. other answer is can ya draw faster or shoot streighter
ken.

I don't know about you're part of the country but nobody's won a dime over a beard here. Been tried several times I know of.

Well, the straighter I want to shoot the more time I take drawing. Of course if the target's in pistol range what's an inch or so?

Frosty the Lucky.

As you can see from my pic, I have a chinstrap with a shaved head. I've sported this look for over a year now and I really like it.

I grew my mustache in High school and kept it for around 15 years, hated the way my face looked without it. Then when I finally said goodbye to it, I kept getting compliments on how much younger I looked.

When I grew the chinstrap last year, it was kind of a compromise. I was going to shave my head (receding hairline since college and no vanity :D) and I suggested to the wife I could grow mutton chop side burns. She hated that idea, so I let the chinstrap grow in. I love it now and will likely keep this look for a long time. I shave my head and the bits of my face every other day and trim the beard to about 3/8" every couple weeks.

Regards,
Tim

post-9322-048455000 1285432817_thumb.jpg

I haven't shaved since last December. I have a full head of black hair, but the beard is snow white. I like to tell my wife that i had a black beard, until we got married, it must be her fault. Don't know if I'm coming out ahead on that discussion or not. I have noticed, however, it seems my street cred has improved when customers come to the shop, I'm looking grey and wisened, but still have all my fingers and teeth. If I tell folks that their plan will most likely self-destruct, they listen more than they did when I looked 20 yrs younger. We're planning a trip a lot closer to the equator than we are now come New Years, I reckon I'll cut the whiskers to get a snorkel mask to fit better. I'll take notes to how much flak I get from cubicle dwellers when I get back clean shaven and armed with the same experience base next year.

As an aside, I figure I've saved enough money by not shaving for a year to buy a 12 pack of miller high life in the disposable razors I didn't have to buy. Will make for a guilt free Wednesday, probably next week.

That was the first thing I did when I left active service. The razor went away for over 12 months, no trimming, grooming etc... I have since shaved it again as I am doing some Reserve work and the Airforce doesnt tolerate lots of red, springy beard hair in cockpits...

post-6569-094722100 1285541087_thumb.jpg

That was the first thing I did when I left active service. The razor went away for over 12 months, no trimming, grooming etc... I have since shaved it again as I am doing some Reserve work and the Airforce doesnt tolerate lots of red, springy beard hair in cockpits...

I like it.
Before I went in I had a nice long thick goatee that I was very proud of. Now a days if I am on leave I will let it grow out just a bit. It doesn't get very long before the large amount of grey in my chin whiskers depresses me enough to shave it off again.

We're planning a trip a lot closer to the equator than we are now come New Years, I reckon I'll cut the whiskers to get a snorkel mask to fit better.

That may be necessary. If the mask fits right there will be no or very little water that works it's way in and you can clear a mask easy enough. I've dove with a full beard and mustache before. If you find the mustache lets in more water than you want to deal with, some people have smeared Vaseline or similar on the mustache with some success.

ron

I like it.
Before I went in I had a nice long thick goatee that I was very proud of. Now a days if I am on leave I will let it grow out just a bit. It doesn't get very long before the large amount of grey in my chin whiskers depresses me enough to shave it off again.

Grew mine in my 4th yr. Air wing was easier to get around things. long hair
stash and herringbone utes( If ya got that ya know when I was in) Helos with fixed gear and single rotors. M1s 1911s S&W M&Ps. Aint seen my chin for 1/2 my
lifetime. Semper Fi bro.
Ken.

i got most of my hair and its longer....muzzy since high school ...how come the muzzy aint mentioned in the poll "muzzy only".....never shaved it off....had beard when i was in a play in high school and grew a full beard for a year with out trimming or cutting it at all...when i shaved it my daughter asked me where it was...never grew one .... i shave every 3 days weather i need it or not..
being a smith makes me not want any facial hair ...knowing myself it wouldnt last long...i burn enuff skin let alone facial hair...

• 1 year later...
Grew mine in my 4th yr. Air wing was easier to get around things. long hair stash and herringbone utes( If ya got that ya know when I was in) Helos with fixed gear and single rotors. M1s 1911s S&W M&Ps. Aint seen my chin for 1/2 my lifetime. Semper Fi bro. Ken.

LOL Yep I know!! I still have a near new set that was my dad's!! H&MS 37, MWSG 37, VMGR 352, 3rd MAW here 73 -75 (pre cammys) :) I don't know about other wings or time periods, but I thought air-wingers got away with more, too until I got nailed on my way to chow one day. My hair almost touched my ears. Crusty old major set me straight. He said if he caught me after chow without a fresh haircut I'd be in the brig and he would cut it for me!! Me being a green PFC and envisioning a salty old-school regular Marines major with a pair of rusty, dull, non-electric shears, I skipped chow and got a proper regulation cut!! I never did see him again, but El Toro was a small station. Ya just never knew... :D
Oorah!!

BTW, stache only; I need to update my photo ;)

I'm clean-shaven, but it's mostly because I'm in a white-collar job, and I feel that it's part of the uniform, like the slacks and starched shirt. My wife likes me scruffy, though, so I don't shave on the weekends or vacations. After a week or two I usually shave, because it gets too itchy.

If I could just keep it at the 2-3 day growth mark without maintenance, I'd totally keep it at that length.