I Forge Iron

Big Blu Max-65?

Does anyone have any information on the Big Blu Max-65 power hammer? This seems to be relatively new. The specs say that it runs on 90psi, but they don't state what the air consumption actually is or what size compressor is required for decent performance. I've heard that the 155 is a big air-user. The anvil:tup ratio is a bit better then the other Big Blu machines, but it is still relatively small compared to the popular wisdom (15:1 or better).

Anyone have any experience with this hammer?

E.P.

Does anyone have any information on the Big Blu Max-65 power hammer?

Contact Big Blu as they have the information on the 65.

The specs say that it runs on 90psi, but they don't state what the air consumption actually is or what size compressor is required for decent performance.

I sooke with Josh and he said the 65 requires a 5 HP motor with an 80 gallon receiver, and operates at 15 CFM at 90 PSI.

I've heard that the 155 is a big air-user.

Josh said the 155 requires a 7-1/2 HP (10 HP being better) motor with a 80 gallon receiver, and operates at 21 CFM at 90 PSI.

The anvil:tup ratio is a bit better then the other Big Blu machines, but it is still relatively small compared to the popular wisdom (15:1 or better).

Anvil to hammer ratio should be just that, the weight of the anvil of the hammer vs the weight of the head of the hammer. This should NOT include the weight of the hammer body, the hammer controls, the hammer foundation, or the weight of the building it is being used in.

The anvil weight vs the hammer head weight ratio originally started (as best I can tell) as a guesstimate to answer a question. It later was refined to 15:1 (or so) after reverse engineering the ratios from several older and larger hammers. But (many times) the numbers took into account the total weight of the hammer and frame and sometimes part of the foundation as part of the ratio.

Not just Big Blu, but for any hammer you are considering
If anvil vs head weight ratio is a concern, go back to the manufacture of the hammer and ask them why they chose the ratio they use. They made the call for the specific ratio they use in their hammers, so ask what were their considerations, and reasons. Also ask the maximum stock size that can be used on a continuous basis for that specific hammer. The manufacturers are more than willing to help you with your questions.

Small hammers are the way forward ! I sell loads more Anyang 33lb than the rest put together ! John L seems to sell plenty of his 50lb model (based on reding his blog),

If you look at it long and hard, for most folks the benefits of small footprint, lower initial cost, lower power consumption, cheaper die blocks, lower transport costs for the machine far outweigh the ability to work big stock once in a blu(e) moon :lol:

In some circumstances I think you can work faster on a smaller hammer than a bigger one (cue everyone telling me im wrong!) , but I think I can draw a nice taper on 20mm stock faster on a 33lb than a bigger machine.

The anvil to hammer ratio numbers come from a graph that Chambursburg published for steam hammers in which the anvil was completly independant of the frame of the hammer. The physics behind this is the idea that a moving object striking a stationary object tends to cause the stationary object to move. In forging, you don't want that to happen since energy that makes the anvil move is not being absorbed by the workpiece. Therefore, by increasing the size of the anvil, more energy goes into moving the work piece and less into moving the anvil. The graph Chambursburg develped showed that there was not much additional gain to be had by using and anvil with a weight ratio greater than about 20 times that of the ram. I am sure there were several assumptions made when that graph was developed, such as that the force to propel the ram was the same regardless of ram weight. A better way to present these numbers would be blow engery vs anvil weight (or mass). For example, the blow engery of a 300 lb mechanical is probably NOT the same as the blow energy of a 300 lb air hammer which is probalby not the same as the blow energy of a 300 lb steam hammer. Therefore, the numbers provided by Chambursbur are really only 100% accurate for the set of assumptions made when they developed the chart. The principles are the same regardless of hammer style, but the exact ratio at which you begin to see no additional benifit from increase anvil weight may NOT be 15:1.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...