I Forge Iron

regulators

edge9001

Phil the adapter, which adapter do I need. the hose has a 1/8 connector on it, only it seems to be made to fit against a matching female connector with the threaded part appearing to only be for pressure. I bought some fittings to make thign fit, only the internal female connector isn't allowing for the threaded part to provide pressure in order to prevent leaks.
so which adapter do I need to make this 1/8 male fitting work with out leaking? what is the part number from www.mrheater.com

I have a cheapo regularot from a dealer of propane tanks. I want a Victor Edge regulator but alas it is not in the current budget.

Propane regulators: my local propane distributor carries "red hat" adjustable high pressure regulators a lot cheaper than an acetylene regulator.

You want wood, best to ask at the lumber yard and not the steel distributor...

You want to buy wood cheap best to go to the sawmill and bypass the lumber yard altogether.
Unless you need pressure treated and nobody in their right mind uses that stuff. :P

I thought it was exactly the opposite?

http://yarchive.net/metal/acetylene_regulators.html

">VERY IMPORTANT: Do not run a propane regulator on acetylene.
>Acetylene regulators contain special gaskets that are immune
>to the solvent fumes found in acetylene. Propane is purer,
>so propane regulators do not need these special gaskets.
>Acetylene can ruin a propane-only regulator, cause leaks,
>and otherwise cause danger to the user.

Bob, this is an important issue. It is true that one can use an
acetylene regulator on propane, but it is equally true that the acetone
in the acetylene regulator may eventually swell any butyl or other rubber
o-rings or gaskets in a propane regulator. If one can find a regulator
using teflon or other fluorocarbon gaskets and diaphram components, one
might be able to simply interchange the regulator from acetylene to propane.

"

• 6 years later...

Ok this thread has been long in mothballs but I can't seem to get s good answer. I have a set of Airco propane torches with gauges, hoses and bottles. 

Question is this: I just purchased a two burner propane forge from Jay Nickell Designs. Can I use the propane regulator and gauges to feed my forge? New hose and gas rated shutoff valves for each burner of course. Any help would be Much appreciated. 

Thanks 

I don't know but I'd think probably not. Burners for a forge don't require much pressure but they require a high volume flow. Most oxy propane torches don't need much propane flow, my Allstates oxy propane torch delivers propane at oz of pressure and a moderate flow.

Oxy propane torches don't have 70% nitrogen to heat so they require about 1/3 the fuel to deliver the same working heat. Also they have a much higher absolute temperature compared to air propane.

I'd give it a try but not expect it to work so I wasn't disappointed, Also, if you anticipate failure you're oh SO MUCH happier if it does work. :D

High volume propane regulators in the 0-30 or higher aren't that expensive they're in the $25 - $30 range in Wasilla Alaska so if the oxy prop reg doesn't work it's not a show stopper.

Frosty The Lucky.