I Forge Iron

regulators

edge9001

Ok guys time to start up what is probably an old discussion...but here goes

I went out pricing a regulator for my propane forge. I went to my local welding supply and they said to use a acetelyne(not sure of the spelling) regulator and a hose rated for propane. While I don't care to do this I feel If I'm paying $75 for a regulator and then buy a hose i would prefer a set up made for propane not just one that should work.

where can I get a regulator? and as cheaply as possible. surely I can get one for less than $75 for regulator, hose and gauge set up.

anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys

edge9001

Locally we have propane distributors who keep everyones tank full. At their stores they have everything related to propane usually on the shelf and I am sure a reg is not $75. I can call for prices from a few places and will try to post tomorrow.
Rob

I called propane suppliers here and on has 0-10psi and 0-20psi for $10.99 ea. the other has 0-10 for $19.95 and 5-35psi for $68.46. guages are about $10 and 4' hose is $18 Hope this helps.
Rob

definatly gets me in the ballpark of what prices should be available.

Tractor Supply Co (TSC) sells a 0-60 PSI regulator for a little over $20...

CHATSWORTH TSC
20 COMMERCE ST CHATSWORTH GA 30705
(706) 695-2136

I tried them, but they didnt have anything on the shelf other than grill or fryer type regulators. Never checked the internet though. At the time I was looking for something similar to a welding torch regulator. now I know better. I;m going to the propane guys friday and then back to TSC if they dont have anything

The brand of the regulator I mentioned is

Mr. Heater F273719

Other info on the packaging....

Soft Nose P.O.L. x 9/16 Left Hand Male Thread
High Pressure
Range of 1-60 PSI
400,000 BRU Capacity
UL Listed

No gauge is included (one can be added, but you have to drill a small hole in the port). Note that the hose connection is NOT pipe thread. Your hose HAS to have the proper fitting.

Your research needs to include the cost of the entire setup. The regulator is just part of the cost.

The package also references Mr. Heater brand hoses for using this regulator with a smoker or weed burner (specific appliance ends). Those hoses will have the proper (regulator end) fitting. If you buy one of those hoses, you will probably need to have the other end replaced (welding supply places can do this). I just took the regulator with me and had a hose made up the length I needed.

If you intend to frequently change the pressure at the regulator, it may be better to buy a regulator with a gauge and larger knob to change the pressure. This regulator has a small knob.

Personally, I manage propane use by volume, using an ALCON JN1 needle valve (right at the top of my atmospheric burner(s)). I posted information concerning the full setup I use on another thread (Quick Connects) in this section of IforgeIron.

I have 5 local propane companies. the first one I went to looked at me like I was stupid. the second said we don't carry that. the third new exactly what I needed but said "we can install it for you but we don't sell parts to private individuals" the fourth knew what I needed but didn't have it in stock, and the last one said "it's illegal for us to sell it to you since you are not an installer"

the last guy is blowing smoke. so I guess an online order is the route I will go. gonna cost me $60. I guess thats better than the $75 for a acetylene setup repurposed to propane

The brand of the regulator I mentioned is

Mr. Heater F273719

Other info on the packaging....

Soft Nose P.O.L. x 9/16 Left Hand Male Thread
High Pressure
Range of 1-60 PSI
400,000 BRU Capacity
UL Listed

I am using that unit, purchased at TSC in the fall (they only stock these for a short time of the year in the stores). Works good. I put the gauge on the manifold by the forge since that was easier.

Phil

If you Goggle for "mr heater regulator F273719", you will find 33 online sources for the regulator I mentioned. The lowest price will get one sent to you (including shipping) for $22.38.

I have never had a positive experience when I went to a propane dealership to purchase something. I think they feel there is too much liability when they sell to non-professionals. I am sure they save lots of injuries because of their policies, but it sure is frustrating to those few of us that seemingly know a little bit about using the products they sell.

If you Goggle for "mr heater regulator F273719", you will find 33 online sources for the regulator I mentioned. The lowest price will get one sent to you (including shipping) for $22.38.

I have never had a positive experience when I went to a propane dealership to purchase something. I think they feel there is too much liability when they sell to non-professionals. I am sure they save lots of injuries because of their policies, but it sure is frustrating to those few of us that seemingly know a little bit about using the products they sell.

I went today to ace hardware to get a mt heater regulator. they had a different brand so i bought it. Now I need to have a hose made, the connection on the hose for the forge end has a connection I cant use. I guess I'll try to propane guys again, maybe they will be willing to make me a custom fit hose. I'll let you all know how it works

Phil the adapter, which adapter do I need. the hose has a 1/8 connector on it, only it seems to be made to fit against a matching female connector with the threaded part appearing to only be for pressure. I bought some fittings to make thign fit, only the internal female connector isn't allowing for the threaded part to provide pressure in order to prevent leaks.
so which adapter do I need to make this 1/8 male fitting work with out leaking? what is the part number from www.mrheater.com

The regulator has left hand threads. The lower priced (for me) 1/4 inch hose (9/16 left handed fittings) has the same thread, and the adapter I used where I connected to me brass manifold at the forge. The adapter looks like a close nipple, but has left threads on one end and right threads on the other.

This is the one I used.

http://mrheater.com/...catid=356&id=74

Phil

Finnally. I got the thing up and running.
I had to get a regulator and hose for it. I ended up buying two propane regulator/hose setups from ace hardware. on was a fryer regulator with a hose I couldn't use. the second was a grill regulator I couldn'r use with a hose I could.

Hooked it up and let the dragon breath. I got my current knife project to a nice cherry red in about 2 mins...hell yeah...I'm excited. I'll send pictures later.

it's about time right?

I soooooo need to build me a gas forge. I love to use coal but, it's getting harder to find. I have everything to put the forge together but, the plans for a burner and insulation. I would be happy to buy it if I could find it here in Tennessee. I may have to order it online. Anyone know of a good place to get the proper insulation for a gas forge?

Scott

http://www.anvilfire.com
http://www.zoellerforge.com
Zoeller will sell you everything, even complete burners.

Check http://ronreil.abana.org/design1.shtml if you want to build your own to a different design. There are other designs here on IFI too
Phil

Thank you Phil

I ordered the plans for Clay Spencer's tirehammer. I'm hoping to have one up and running by fall. I'll need a good forge as well.