28 replies to this topic

#1 edge9001

edge9001

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • Locationchatsworth, GA

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

Ok guys time to start up what is probably an old discussion...but here goes

I went out pricing a regulator for my propane forge. I went to my local welding supply and they said to use a acetelyne(not sure of the spelling) regulator and a hose rated for propane. While I don't care to do this I feel If I'm paying $75 for a regulator and then buy a hose i would prefer a set up made for propane not just one that should work.

where can I get a regulator? and as cheaply as possible. surely I can get one for less than $75 for regulator, hose and gauge set up.

anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys

edge9001
Tim
Chatsworth, Georgia
[email protected]
Do what thou wilst, yet ye harm none. Blessed Be.

#2 Fosterob

Fosterob

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

Locally we have propane distributors who keep everyones tank full. At their stores they have everything related to propane usually on the shelf and I am sure a reg is not $75. I can call for prices from a few places and will try to post tomorrow.
Rob

#3 Harley

Harley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRoyalston, Massachusetts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:40 AM

look on line for "Tejas smokers" I've gotten two different regulators from them one for my gasser and one for my deep fryer.
www.blackdogforge.net

#4 RichardT

RichardT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPerth Western Australia

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:58 AM

I bought mine from here: http://zoellerforge.com/flare.html (including the gauge) and I have to say I'm completely satisfied. Delivery to Western Australia was faultless, and the product meets my needs exactly.

#5 ThomasPowers

ThomasPowers

Senior Moment Member; Master Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 17,869 posts
  • LocationCentral NM/El Paso TX Area, USA

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

Propane regulators: my local propane distributor carries "red hat" adjustable high pressure regulators a lot cheaper than an acetylene regulator.

You want wood, best to ask at the lumber yard and not the steel distributor...
Thomas Psychotic Psychobabblonian Powers

#6 edge9001

edge9001

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • Locationchatsworth, GA

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

You want wood, best to ask at the lumber yard and not the steel distributor...

you ake a good point. I'll check my local propane guys/ i found some online last night for around $40ish
Tim
Chatsworth, Georgia
[email protected]

#7 ThomasPowers

ThomasPowers

Senior Moment Member; Master Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 17,869 posts
  • LocationCentral NM/El Paso TX Area, USA

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

Well there is always the case when the local steel distributor will give you free dunnage wood too...

"All absolutes are relative!"
Thomas Psychotic Psychobabblonian Powers

#8 Fosterob

Fosterob

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

I called propane suppliers here and on has 0-10psi and 0-20psi for $10.99 ea. the other has 0-10 for $19.95 and 5-35psi for $68.46. guages are about $10 and 4' hose is $18 Hope this helps.
Rob

#9 edge9001

edge9001

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • Locationchatsworth, GA

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

I called propane suppliers here and on has 0-10psi and 0-20psi for $10.99 ea. the other has 0-10 for $19.95 and 5-35psi for $68.46. guages are about $10 and 4' hose is $18 Hope this helps.
Rob

definatly gets me in the ballpark of what prices should be available.
Tim
Chatsworth, Georgia
[email protected]

#10 Dave Hammer

Dave Hammer

Banned

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

Tractor Supply Co (TSC) sells a 0-60 PSI regulator for a little over $20...

CHATSWORTH TSC
20 COMMERCE ST CHATSWORTH GA 30705
(706) 695-2136

#11 edge9001

edge9001

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • Locationchatsworth, GA

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

Tractor Supply Co (TSC) sells a 0-60 PSI regulator for a little over $20...

CHATSWORTH TSC
20 COMMERCE ST CHATSWORTH GA 30705
(706) 695-2136

I tried them, but they didnt have anything on the shelf other than grill or fryer type regulators. Never checked the internet though. At the time I was looking for something similar to a welding torch regulator. now I know better. I;m going to the propane guys friday and then back to TSC if they dont have anything
Tim
Chatsworth, Georgia
[email protected]

#12 Dave Hammer

Dave Hammer

Banned

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:33 AM

The brand of the regulator I mentioned is

Mr. Heater F273719

Other info on the packaging....

Soft Nose P.O.L. x 9/16 Left Hand Male Thread
High Pressure
Range of 1-60 PSI
400,000 BRU Capacity
UL Listed

No gauge is included (one can be added, but you have to drill a small hole in the port). Note that the hose connection is NOT pipe thread. Your hose HAS to have the proper fitting.

Your research needs to include the cost of the entire setup. The regulator is just part of the cost.

The package also references Mr. Heater brand hoses for using this regulator with a smoker or weed burner (specific appliance ends). Those hoses will have the proper (regulator end) fitting. If you buy one of those hoses, you will probably need to have the other end replaced (welding supply places can do this). I just took the regulator with me and had a hose made up the length I needed.

If you intend to frequently change the pressure at the regulator, it may be better to buy a regulator with a gauge and larger knob to change the pressure. This regulator has a small knob.

Personally, I manage propane use by volume, using an ALCON JN1 needle valve (right at the top of my atmospheric burner(s)). I posted information concerning the full setup I use on another thread (Quick Connects) in this section of IforgeIron.

#13 edge9001

edge9001

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • Locationchatsworth, GA

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

I have 5 local propane companies. the first one I went to looked at me like I was stupid. the second said we don't carry that. the third new exactly what I needed but said "we can install it for you but we don't sell parts to private individuals" the fourth knew what I needed but didn't have it in stock, and the last one said "it's illegal for us to sell it to you since you are not an installer"

the last guy is blowing smoke. so I guess an online order is the route I will go. gonna cost me $60. I guess thats better than the $75 for a acetylene setup repurposed to propane
Tim
Chatsworth, Georgia
[email protected]

#14 pkrankow

pkrankow

• Members
  • 5,373 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

The brand of the regulator I mentioned is

Mr. Heater F273719

Other info on the packaging....

Soft Nose P.O.L. x 9/16 Left Hand Male Thread
High Pressure
Range of 1-60 PSI
400,000 BRU Capacity
UL Listed

I am using that unit, purchased at TSC in the fall (they only stock these for a short time of the year in the stores). Works good. I put the gauge on the manifold by the forge since that was easier.

Phil
Your brain is the most powerful tool you own.

#15 Dave Hammer

Dave Hammer

Banned

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

If you Goggle for "mr heater regulator F273719", you will find 33 online sources for the regulator I mentioned. The lowest price will get one sent to you (including shipping) for $22.38.

I have never had a positive experience when I went to a propane dealership to purchase something. I think they feel there is too much liability when they sell to non-professionals. I am sure they save lots of injuries because of their policies, but it sure is frustrating to those few of us that seemingly know a little bit about using the products they sell.

#16 edge9001

edge9001

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • Locationchatsworth, GA

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

If you Goggle for "mr heater regulator F273719", you will find 33 online sources for the regulator I mentioned. The lowest price will get one sent to you (including shipping) for $22.38.

I have never had a positive experience when I went to a propane dealership to purchase something. I think they feel there is too much liability when they sell to non-professionals. I am sure they save lots of injuries because of their policies, but it sure is frustrating to those few of us that seemingly know a little bit about using the products they sell.

I went today to ace hardware to get a mt heater regulator. they had a different brand so i bought it. Now I need to have a hose made, the connection on the hose for the forge end has a connection I cant use. I guess I'll try to propane guys again, maybe they will be willing to make me a custom fit hose. I'll let you all know how it works
Tim
Chatsworth, Georgia
[email protected]

#17 Dave Hammer

Dave Hammer

Banned

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

If the propane place doesn't want to work with you, take your hose to a welding supply... or a gas supplier and have it done there.

#18 edge9001

edge9001

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • Locationchatsworth, GA

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

If the propane place doesn't want to work with you, take your hose to a welding supply... or a gas supplier and have it done there.

that's what i was thinking.
Tim
Chatsworth, Georgia
[email protected]

#19 pkrankow

pkrankow

• Members
  • 5,373 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hr. heater has an adapter. Ask at your hardware store, they likely have it.

Phil
Your brain is the most powerful tool you own.

#20 edge9001

edge9001

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • Locationchatsworth, GA

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:55 PM

Phil the adapter, which adapter do I need. the hose has a 1/8 connector on it, only it seems to be made to fit against a matching female connector with the threaded part appearing to only be for pressure. I bought some fittings to make thign fit, only the internal female connector isn't allowing for the threaded part to provide pressure in order to prevent leaks.
so which adapter do I need to make this 1/8 male fitting work with out leaking? what is the part number from www.mrheater.com
Tim
Chatsworth, Georgia
[email protected]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users