I Forge Iron

Guillotine tool

Hey folks-

Just thought I'd post up some pics of something I made at school. Of course it's nothing new... but it was fun to make.

With the pocketed piece of UHMW inside the top slide and the return spring, this little thing works pretty slick. The 1" plate it's bolted to has a stem for the anvil. The die slide fronts bolt on so you can put different dies in (with shims if needed) or for maintenance.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I blatantly copied the spring idea from this fellow on British blades.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?78415-Guillotine-tool-quot-how-to-quot

I also got all my peices cut out and ready to weld after I saw the plan on the net. The how to link is clear and easy to follow. What kind of steel is right for the dies and is there a common size (of steel)I should be using for the dies. Nick, hope mine turns out half as sharp as yours. You got my interest back in this project.
Nice work !
Naz.

How about 1 more mod to a great system! An adjustable fence that can be used to set the depth on a piece of stock when you are working inline with the dies and removed when you are working at right angles to them?

eg: if you want to fuller down the center of a bar you can set the fence and then shove the piece along it while walloping on the top die.

Thanks folks! Funny, I forgot he actually had plans on there. I saw the pics on a Google image search and then just started cutting and welding pieces out of the scrap bin until I had something I thought would work. *edited to add* I just built this around the die material I had in my shop (which I surface ground to 3/4 X 2-1/2)

I do always seem to do things the hard way. LOL

I chose to TIG weld this just because I've been trying to get in as much practice with it as I can at the school, but you could sure put one together quick with a wire-feed.

I forgot to mention the pin that catches the return spring. I turned down a 3/8-16 ss bolt. It is threaded into the top die. I have different sized little compression springs that I can stick in there and get the top die to varying heights above the bottom die.

Oh, and the dies are heat-treated 5160 I had laying around.

The fence idea is GREAT, I'm sure I'll be adding something like that before long. :D

• 1 month later...

That's a great looking tool.

I think I've been using Google Sketchup too much..... As I was looking at your pics I got the strong urge to center-mouse-click and rotate it like a model!! smile.gif

Don't forget to post more pictures if you do more mods like putting the fence on it!