I Forge Iron

Blacksmiths in Las Vegas NV

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello everyone. I live in the northern Las Vegas area and I'm rather new to blacksmithing. It's something I've always wanted to do but could never really afford the tools and such needed for the process, still pretty much can't but I'm actively trying to save up for the stuff now. (And no, I'm not looking for a load of expensive gadgits and gizmo's, just jobless.)

I would love to meet up with a few people, maybe get some hands-on experience and learning, see how everything works and get some advice on how to set up my stuff once I get it, advice on getting coal and all of that. Please reply to me here or drop me a PM, I would love to talk a little more about blacksmithing in general.

Welcome to the area Tsunero.

I can get coal in Utah where I work. Last I checked it was $130 a ton. Haven't got a spec sheet on it yet for contents, or BTU's. I'll see if I can get that , if I can remember haha!

What type is smithing are you interested in?

The only one I know of actively smithing is Zanshin, who is knocking out some nice knives. Work, and trying to have something that actually represents a social life are keeping me away from the forge.

How do you mean "Type of smithing"? I knew I didn't know too much but I wasn't really aware there were many types. I would love to try any kind of smithing honestly. At some point I would like to make my own sets of forge tools and the like. I won't lie, I would probably make a knife or sword and such as well out of curioisity.

Welcome to the community Tsunero. I live in NW Las Vegas. I think that Biggundictor was referring to blacksmithing, bladesmithing etc. Personally, I am an hobbyst bladesmith (thank Biggundoctor for your compliments) and I am trying to hammer as much as I can. I don t have all the tool either but if you want to stop by, a couple of hands more could be helpful, if I can get a good sledge hammer. Lemme know

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! My name is Dustin and I'll be heading to Las Vegas again later this month for work. I've been taking blacksmithing classes in Chicago for about a year now and would like to hang out with some fellow smiths while I'm in Vegas. I'll be around until at least March. Maybe longer. 

Until now, I've just done knives. Basic hammer work, some woodwork for the handles, and grinding.... lots and lots of grinding. Nothing fancy. Our shop consisted of a forge, an anvil, a belt sander, and a drill press. I haven't worked with any hardware that would make things really easy. 

Ultimately, I'd like to take this from a hobby into something I can make a living from. The more I could learn and work out there, the better. Any advice you guys could give me on where to go and who to learn from would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome aboard Dustin, glad to have you. I'd include my usual admonition about putting your general location in the header but you're moving so . . . I'm going to have to wait till you get moved I guess. <sigh>

I'm also a little disappointed you included your name so I can't legitimately make up a nickname for you. Really, if you're Nomad we could call you Happy. Then again, real names are good. Glad to meet ya.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'll be staying up by Sahara and Durango at my buddy's house until I find a room to rent.

I get in next week, around Dec. 9th or 10th. My boss and I are driving down from Chicago.

I'm bringing my hammer, some flux, a small bottle of oil, some stones and files, and a few pieces of metal with me.

Also Happy the Iron Nomad is hilarious. Sounds like a confused dwarf.

• 2 months later...

Hi all! I'm looking for someone near Las Vegas (closer to Moapa Valley) that would be interested in teaching my son. He's interesting in metalworking of all kinds, but I have no idea really where to start looking for a teacher. He's 17, and will graduate high school in May. We're available almost any time during the day or evening. If you can help, or at least point me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated. :)

Hi all! I'm looking for someone near Las Vegas (closer to Moapa Valley) that would be interested in teaching my son. He's interesting in metalworking of all kinds, but I have no idea really where to start looking for a teacher. He's 17, and will graduate high school in May. We're available almost any time during the day or evening. If you can help, or at least point me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated. :)

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll get to meet the locals a lot sooner. There's a regular poster here lives in the Moapa Valley though I can't remember his name, the web handle is Bigguns I believe.

Oh yeah, get your son signed up here soonest, we LOVE helping folk develop this addiction. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

I am not far away, but this weekend I am tied up. Here is what you can do though. Cruise on over to the Virgin Valley Artists Association gallery on Mesquite Blvd, near Pioneer. They usually have some interesting art of all mediums. There is also a museum next to it, but I have yet to see what is inside , other than the old iron outside on display.

You can also explore the area some IE; Scenic, Beaver Dam, Littlefield, Gold Butte.

If you get down this way again give me a heads up, and I will see what I have going on.

• 2 months later...

Hello all, Biggundoctor pointed me in the right direction, thanks again, I am new here to IFI I am in the northwest and would like to get together with everyone. I am just a hobbyist

but I am always looking to learn something new . I would like to learn some bladesmithing.

Thanks again BIGGUNDOCTOR

• 2 months later...

Good day fellow IFI members.

I am here in the NW outskirts of Las Vegas. Would really like to get to know some other people out here in Blacksmithing. Newbie been looking into it for quite a while now. If anyone out there interested in meeting up please let me know. 

Thanks, Timothy

Welcome aboard Timothy, glad to have you. You be in luck there are a number of outstanding blacksmiths and bladesmiths in your general vicinity. If you go to the Iforgeiron front page and scroll to the bottom section you'll find the "regional organizations" section and a little looking will put you in contact with the club in your area or at least close.

It isn't going to take long and some of the guys close to you will be speaking up anyway but there's already contact info in this forum.

Frosty The Lucky.