I Forge Iron

H13 question

I am sure that this has been asked before, but since I have not seen it ... I will ask again.

If I quench H13 chisels in the anti-seize grease that I use between uses will I risk re-hardening them and hence risk breaking them.

brad

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.integritysteel.com/aisi-h13-hot-work-tool-steel.html

Note: When oil quenched, this grade is as vulnerable to cracking and has the same distortional characteristics as an oil hardening tool steel.

h13 is really tough and can still hold alot of its integrity at a red heat. I would not recommend quenching it and let it air cool. We have 2 tools to rotate through for the process.

http://www.integritysteel.com/aisi-h13-hot-work-tool-steel.html

Note: When oil quenched, this grade is as vulnerable to cracking and has the same distortional characteristics as an oil hardening tool steel.

h13 is really tough and can still hold alot of its integrity at a red heat. I would not recommend quenching it and let it air cool. We have 2 tools to rotate through for the process.

I was thinking of this route but I like to grease my chisels as I use them. If I alternate chisels can I grease them after they have had a cooling period with no ill effect ?
brad

I was thinking of this route but I like to grease my chisels as I use them. If I alternate chisels can I grease them after they have had a cooling period with no ill effect ?
brad

H13 is quite tough so alternating them should have no ill effect. I have a very thin but wide chisel that I typically water quench and it has held up well over the years.

I made an enquiry to a tool steel provider re the use of SI or H13 for making blacksmiths punches/chisels some years ago, and whether to quench or not when in use, and this was their reply

If using S1 as a cutting tool then as long as it does not dwell on the red hot steel and the tool edge not exceed 600o C, then the hardness will not be affected.

Should you require a steel that is totally unaffected by water then we strongly recommend H13 which will maintain medium hardness and is ideally suitable for hot work
applications.

Greasing after use and when being 'stored' should not affect them

Been over this one many times. In our world, it's not "quenching" unless the steel is above austenizing temperature. Otherwise it's just "cooling". I like to use a bucket of hot tap water and rotate two punches. Like to avoid thermal shock even if there is no harmful metallurgical effect.

I just bought some h-13 and s7 off ebay as well as some a2

usually it seems most people just anneal the steel these steels and put them to use since you need a digital oven with ramping temp's to heat treat them to the book

I have seen people using anti-seize as a lubricant and same with moly paste I dont know what works best but it all seems to make some kind of smoke as you use it.

I dont know what works best but I would like to know what other people do

I'd rather endanger a punch than my health by breathing anti seize or moly paste fumes!!!!!!YUCK When I do lots of punching I keep a bucket of warm water with a cup of soap flakes in it.. Like Grant said-we're not quenching here-just cooling. I'm not a bonafide blacksmith but I punched a lot of holes in jumper and polo horseshoes over the years for drive caulks. Both H13 and S7 held up well for me..

I'd rather endanger a punch than my health by breathing anti seize or moly paste fumes!!!!!!YUCK When I do lots of punching I keep a bucket of warm water with a cup of soap flakes in it.. Like Grant said-we're not quenching here-just cooling. I'm not a bonafide blacksmith but I punched a lot of holes in jumper and polo horseshoes over the years for drive caulks. Both H13 and S7 held up well for me..

I have been using moly grease for years is there a better alternative?. I have lots of H13 so I made two more chisels today and will be rotating them and cooling. I assume the soap acts as a surfactant?

brad

I just bought some h-13 and s7 off ebay as well as some a2

usually it seems most people just anneal the steel these steels and put them to use since you need a digital oven with ramping temp's to heat treat them to the book

I have seen people using anti-seize as a lubricant and same with moly paste I dont know what works best but it all seems to make some kind of smoke as you use it.

I dont know what works best but I would like to know what other people do

That's what I like about H-13, it's very easy to heat treat by eye. Been doing it with great success for more than 30 years. Heat to 1950F (orange bordering on yellow) cool in front of a fan or in oil if you're feeling lucky. Oil gives better hardness and is usually safe on on a uniform part like a punch. Stay with air on a slitter. Let cool until a little more than warm to the touch. Draw at 950-1100 (a very wide window here) You can judge that very easily, it's the first black/red heat you can see holding the part in a nice dark shade. If you're gonna use it annealed, don't waste your money on tool steel that only has it's wonderful stated properties when heat treated. I used to punch around 800 holes a day around 1"D through 1" thick material. Punch rarely needed dressing.

• 2 months later...

I use a mixture of Kahlua, Jamoca Almond Fudge ice cream and half and half. Keeps me lubricated

AND I get the four food groups:

Alcohol
Cholesterol
Caffeine
and Chocolate!

and id throw in a toasted ham and cheese sandwich, just for the exra vitamins..(only with Jarlsburg cheese!)

and who had the condensed milk sangas?

and my punch didnt heat treat right, on a side note, well...wrong treat for that steel...the punch knocked about a 2mm ledge in the steel then pretended is was a rivet head, so not sure what he used steel wise, (mighta been 4140 that i anealed, being the wrong process for the wrong steel) but we'll know when he takes it to the electronmicro bloke. i give him some h13 so we know what it is this time.

It has always baffled me as to why you see people by three boxes of twinkies and a gallon of Diet-anything.

Me, I like to fry up a few thick slabs of badon, then pan-toast a cheese bagle in the grease nice and toasted. then I fry two eggs in the remaining grease and smother the whole thing with mushed up avocado. I get goose-bumps even talking about it. Oh yeah, to wash it all down, a nice strong cup of coffee with a scoop of vanilla ice cream

oh yaeah!!! :blink: