I Forge Iron

Century Welder

Tim McCoy

When we put the workshop in at my folks place my Dad, and his friend did all of the conduit, wiring, panels, etc. The inspector came out, looked it over, and signed the permit off. The final 3 wire hookup to the subpanel was done by an electrician we knew. All work was done to, or better than what the code required; extra clamps, bigger wire, etc.

I know that some people will skimp due to the price-especially now, and that can lead to problems. Also not getting the proper information needed to do the job correctly.

In Maddog's case I don't know if it would need to be redone, but maybe just inspected to make sure it was done correctly, and have a permit drawn.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

If you want to make your own cables for the machine you own-you can use a 4 gauge or larger cable with ground clamps and electrode that you can purchase anywhere. However the plugs you need (the male jacks that plug into the machine) are 3/8" jacks that I believe are only made for Century. At least I haven't found any place else to purchase them. You can purchase the part number 239-052-908 Welding Jack Set from our website at

www.welder-pros.com

The direct link is

http://welder-pros.com/century_and_lincoln_parts_and_accessories.html

As to your question about which you cable you lengthen would be better-with your machine it probably does not matter significantly since you do not have a high frequency attachment. However if you coil up the cables, you tend to lose efficiency. Therefore it is usually better to lengthen your 230 volt cable, if you can conveniently move the machine closer to your welding project.

Any other questions? Let me know.

Thanks,
Mont Howard
Howard Equipment and Supply
1424 N. Hwy. 91
Shelley, ID 83274
Office 208-357-3200
Cell 208-251-2123
www.welder-pros.com