I Forge Iron

Forge Stand

What's a good idea for a forge stand? The stand for my BBQ pit forge was way too wobbly, and it eventually broke. Not a good idea to have a 2000+ degree fire on a falling forge!

Can I build a wooden one, or is that a no no? What about a metal nightstand/shelf type thing? I know nothing about welding, so building something that way is out of the question.

If you want to make it from metal, a little planning and if you can use a drill, bolts to build a stand. Or you could just use a few cinder blocks, stacking them up to make a stand. One IFI member used a potty chair for a forge stand. Lots of ways, depending on the materials you have available.

Mine is just a 55gal drum lid with 1/2" pipe for legs no mess no fuss construction.

I just used the entire 55 gallon drum for my brake drum forge, I cut holes in the side for the blower to connect, supporting the blower with a large log and a brick. Then I cut a second hole large enough for me to access the cleanout. I have the same style brake drum forge you have in the pictures

All great ideas, and they look very nice.

Unfortunately, I don't have any steel studs laying around. I'm kind of strapped for cash, and I was trying to make due with what I have. I build wooden furniture, so I was wondering if I could build a wooden base, or apron, then put a steel top on that. Then, I would mount the forge to the steel top. Would that work? And would it be safe to have the wood so close?

When I was in Texas, I saw a wooden forge. It was well lined with some refractory so there was no problems with the wood getting hot. I plan on making a copy of it based on my memory. (mostly because I need to rebuild my forge and wood is what I have on hand.)

So it all depends on how well insulated the forge is so it doesn't overheat the wood.

ron

I just used the entire 55 gallon drum for my brake drum forge, I cut holes in the side for the blower to connect, supporting the blower with a large log and a brick. Then I cut a second hole large enough for me to access the cleanout. I have the same style brake drum forge you have in the pictures

I didn't have the whole drum. I found the lid in the brush around the house and broke out the dremel and drill. Nice thing is it is very easy for me to pick up and move it out side when I want to fire it up and when done I just put it back in my small shed.

Pat Roy
Yep very simple and inexpensive to boot. With it being open under neath I don't have to stand so far away. I used 30" pipe for the legs which puts it at the right height for me with my 6'2" frame.

I took an old gas grill cart and rebuilt it into a stand to hold my propane forge:
1 removed grill
2 place sheet of steel across where the grill used to sit drill and bolted it down
3 replaced the wheels with good ones from fleamarket

I plan to add some cross straps to beef it up too, total cost is about 5 dollars so far and sure is handy to wheel the propane forge outside with the tank mounted under neath it. Shoot I took it on a 4 day campout last month!