I Forge Iron

Blacksmith's Journal closing shop

Yet another piece of bad news. The blacksmith's Journal is going out of business. A truly great publication with lot's of step by step information. I have subscribed on and off for about 15 years. I had to drop it when they went to digital download-no high speed acess here in the woods and it took forever to get an issue downloaded. It makes me think that I need to support these type of magazines and such or they will dissappear forever. If we all don't support these things we will have less places for great information. I am re-upping my ABANA membership (even though there is some stuff I don't like about abana) so that I can help them stay around and provide valuable information. I am also re-upping my Traditional Metalsmith subscription. Once again, I'm sorry to see the Blacksmith"s Journal dissappear, it was a treasure of knowledge for the Blacksmithing community.
Mark Emig

Is trying to save the issues for the blueprint section something we could collectively do? Essentitally there are 232 issues available at $4 each for a total of $928. A bit pricey for one person but as a group this large and passionate I think it is worthwhile. It would be a real shame for this resource to vanish.
Erick

That really is a shame - The Blacksmith's Journal was a great publication. Several years ago, Jerry visited my shop to demo for our local group. He is a very accomplished smith so all I can hope is that he became successful enough to retire and is not having health issues. :(

I went to an auction a few years ago where the entire contents of a smithy was being sold. Among some of the materials sitting around were several binders of material from the Blacksmith Journal.....the only stuff in the entire shop the fellow wouldn't part with......

We can't complain of folks in foreign countries copying *OUR* stuff and under cutting the market and then go out and do it to one of our own!

Sure you can Thom,people do it every day!It`s just a question of if you can live with yourself after you do it. :o
As for myself,I prefer to be able to sleep soundly at night and being able to look myself in the eye while shaving.

Sprockets&Cogs: The same way if you buy a copy you can loan it to whoever you want. But the RIGHT to COPY and distribute (by print, electronic, or any other means) lies with the COPYRIGHT holder.

Blacksmiths Journal needs more than just "knowing" we are doing it. And it ain't "we" it would be Glenn. He cannot KNOWINGLY display copyrighted material on his website without WRITTEN consent from the copyright holder.

I would expect that Jerry might have plans to publish the journals in volumes in the future.

That would be a great seller. A collective of a publication in book form. The different phases of info from different times during publication. Hopefully he will create some sort of compilation. Who knows, some people, like Brian Brazeal would like to pass on information to better the craft. Obviously this is something to be discussed with the creator.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2010 at 8:08 PM, ironstein said:

That would be a great seller. A collective of a publication in book form. The different phases of info from different times during publication. Hopefully he will create some sort of compilation. Who knows, some people, like Brian Brazeal would like to pass on information to better the craft. Obviously this is something to be discussed with the creator.

That would be a great thing for ABANA to take on. Anyone know someone to contact at ABANA to propose this. ABANA could issue them as e-books without a lot of startup cost. Beyond that they could be sold as printed collections, grouping them however that makes sense to do. If ABANA wants to be the national blacksmithing association it alludes to then this would be a great place to start.

Jim Dunning

When I contacted them, they said they were planning to continue selling back issues, so availability shouldn't be a problem. The online store is still open, too.

Iron Clad: I believe they will give you store credit for the balance of your subscription.

Blacksmith's Journal was unique. I think Jerry Hoffman recognized the need for a publication that addressed design as much as execution... and then did an outstanding job filling it.

• 3 months later...

That would be a great thing for ABANA to take on. Anyone know someone to contact at ABANA to propose this. ABANA could issue them as e-books without a lot of startup cost. Beyond that they could be sold as printed collections, grouping them however that makes sense to do. If ABANA wants to be the national blacksmithing association it alludes to then this would be a great place to start.

Jim Dunning

I followed up with an email to the head of ABANA and he couldn't even be bothered replying and telling me to go to xxxx (though they still flood me with unwanted emails).

Jim Dunning

I followed up with an email to the head of ABANA and he couldn't even be bothered replying and telling me to go to xxxx (though they still flood me with unwanted emails).

Jim Dunning

Jim, just who did you contact as the "Head of ABANA", this is the first I have heard on this discussion. Don't be shy man, name names! This idea is a good one, are there any volunteers? Myself, I have been working on getting the archives of the Anvil's Ring scanned and those of you who are ABANA members may have received the CD.............free as a way to say "Thanks" for renewing your membership.

All of these great ideas take time for some poor volunteer to do in their spare time, while their day to day "real life" continues going on.......such as trying to make bread and milk appear in the fridge on a regular basis.

Think about this, not one single ABANA Board Member gets paid for what they do, its all for the "Love of the Craft"

Best Regards to all,

Rome H. Hutchings, 2nd Vice President
"Volunteer Member Board of Directors"
Artist Blacksmith's Association of North America
The Prairie Forge
13633 Ferman Ave NW
Clearwater, MN 55320
(763) 878-1694 Home
(763) 482-1181 Cell
(763) 878-1720 Fax
rome@abana.org

Jim, just who did you contact as the "Head of ABANA", this is the first I have heard on this discussion. Don't be shy man, name names! This idea is a good one, are there any volunteers? Myself, I have been working on getting the archives of the Anvil's Ring scanned and those of you who are ABANA members may have received the CD.............free as a way to say "Thanks" for renewing your membership.

All of these great ideas take time for some poor volunteer to do in their spare time, while their day to day "real life" continues going on.......such as trying to make bread and milk appear in the fridge on a regular basis.

Think about this, not one single ABANA Board Member gets paid for what they do, its all for the "Love of the Craft"

Best Regards to all,

Rome H. Hutchings, 2nd Vice President
"Volunteer Member Board of Directors"
Artist Blacksmith's Association of North America
The Prairie Forge
13633 Ferman Ave NW
Clearwater, MN 55320
(763) 878-1694 Home
(763) 482-1181 Cell
(763) 878-1720 Fax
rome@abana.org

It's not even an issue for ABANA unless Jerry decides to abandon his copyrights. If you want that to happen, you should contact Jerry, not someone who has no power over it. Do the legwork first if you think it can happen, ideas are a dime a dozen.

As an aside, NWBA has recently posted the entire 30 years of history of our award-winning newsletter/magazine the "Hot Iron News" in PDF format on our website:
CLICK----> HOT IRON NEWS ARCHIVES