I Forge Iron

My 701 pound Hay Budden...& a few others.....

Registered my membership a few years ago, but have been out of the blacksmith stuff for some time now.....I think I'll fire up the ole forge again soon!

This thread is just showing some of my tools for your viewing....I know I enjoy looking at other's tools, so here goes!!

Here is a few pics of my 701 Hay Budden, marked "Shapeliegh Hardware Company, BLACK PRINCE, ST. Louis, 701" on Original anvil stand (which nearly weighs as much as the anvil!). It came off the Missouri Pacific Railroad in St. Louis. ENJOY....

post-3475-016475600 1273847390_thumb.jpg

post-3475-073301300 1273847407_thumb.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies guys. I've owned over 800 anvils in the past 18 years, this 701 HB is one of the largest ones I've had. Just really like anvils I guess....they tell a story, you know?

I am 3 hours from St. Louis.

I do leatherwork for a living. You can view my websites if you wish: www.anvilcustoms.com and www.leatherchainwallets.com

Have a great weekend everyone....

Ryan @ Anvil Customs

800 ANVILS !!!!! Are you serious?? That's impressive. Nice anvil by the way. The largest anvil I have seen in person was 600 lbs. and that made my 275 lb. anvil look small by comparison. Then again, it should considering it's over twice the weight. <_<

I am not sure of the EXACT weight, but Mengel and Green have around a 803# Hay Budden, so it is not the largest, but certainly up there!

Doesn't surprise me. I'm not saying I have the biggest HB ever, just showing pics. I'm sure there is a larger HB than Mengel/Green's too.....there always is.

Mengel/Green came to my place and bought a 50lb. Novelty IronWorks Power Hammer from me a few years back.....nice guys, they have some cool stuff.

I still have a little miniture swage block they use to make.....

Here's some pics of my 424 Hay Budden and a new 260 JHM anvil out of Texas. Hey, you all have a nice weekend....!!

Ryan @ Anvil Customs

post-3475-001553000 1273936875_thumb.jpg

post-3475-019062200 1273936881_thumb.jpg

post-3475-042471500 1273936892_thumb.jpg

post-3475-053188800 1273936898_thumb.jpg

post-3475-049945800 1273936906_thumb.jpg

I was impressed by the base on the big HB. You might like to fill the base with lead to stop the anvil moving around when you are making knives on it.

Yeah, it moves around a LOT.....especially since I'm a giant and I weigh 15,000 pounds so when I'm forging, the anvil falls off onto the shop floor sometimes....haha.... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I have a seven hundred pound hay budden in my shop. I am going to post pics of it on this website. I think it is 700 pounds, I haven't weighed it, but it is stamped 700 on the side. You are causing a nervous breakdown in me, I now have anvil envy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It certainly looks in good nick, with the combined weight of the stand it wouldn't be something you would move around a lot. So I guess you bought 799 anvils before you found the right one :rolleyes:

I have a 515# Fisher as my main shop anvil---nice and quiet, nearly mint and ran me about 67 cents a pound. I found that it would move a bit on the balk of timber it was on when I was doing heavy work so I put a couple of fence wire staples in to hold it in place. It just needed something to nudge against when we are hammering up a storm.

it's stand is 3 old rr bridge? timbers bolted together about 8' long and the correct height and about 18" wide; found it floating in a creek during a flood so I waded out to it climbed aboard and road it down the creek using a branch as a paddle till I got it to where a 4wd could drag it out with a chain. In the new shop it will have a single piece of dressed timber dug into the ground around 3'--the baul stays in the old shop to hold all the armouring tools and the 410# Trenton.

I am going to photograph my big anvil tomorrow, then post the pics. By the way, if you live in the midwest, I know where there is a 500 lb. hay budden for sale, and reasonable! It is in a suburb of indianapolis. The guy is only asking for 800 dollars for this anvil, and it is in magnificent shape. If you email me at stampmanstuart@juno.com, I will give you his phone number. This anvil is located too far for me to drive to get it.

I am going to photograph my big anvil tomorrow, then post the pics. By the way, if you live in the midwest, I know where there is a 500 lb. hay budden for sale, and reasonable! It is in a suburb of indianapolis. The guy is only asking for 800 dollars for this anvil, and it is in magnificent shape. If you email me at stampmanstuart@juno.com, I will give you his phone number. This anvil is located too far for me to drive to get it.

D'oh! I would be all over this if I wasn't so far away.