I Forge Iron

The Ultimate Tongs

brianbrazealblacksmith

Here's a pair of tongs I made for Lyle,LDW, for his birthday today. I initially made this type for prying with when making tools from spring, so the reins are a little stouter than I normally make. I also made them like the tongs I posted quite a while back that would hold tapered stock. What I didn't count on though, was the versatilty of these tongs. These tongs will hold 1/4" round or square and everything in between all the way up to 1 1/8" as they are set right now. They will also hold tapers, round or square, and flat bar, 1/2" to 1". They are the most versatile tongs I have ever used or seen.

post-4954-12693141514099_thumb.jpg

Brian;

They do look interesting. I can't make out the jaw shapes completely. It looks as though the top jaw is standard v-grip and the bottom jaw is a solid diamond shape that has also been aligned on a slight taper closing faster toward the tip. From the apparent dimensions I seem to think that you made them from some sort of tool or alloy steel?

Come on by and I'll have you strike, and we can make you a birthday present. I'm not kidding either, and Karen says to bring Dora.

we will be out your way at the end of may maybe we can get together then we are flying into little rock and renting a car from there

I just took some pics of different things these tongs will hold. I could have kept going. I don't know if I can put all these pictures on, so I'll have Karen put them on picasa. Like I said these tongs hold round or square 1/4" to 1 1/8", rectangular,[straight,curved,tapered,straight curved, or tapered curved] even on the diagonal, tapers even curved tapers, and alot of odd ball stuff. They even have a built in stop when you're not wanting a piece to slip back in your tongs. They really are the ultimate tong.
post-4954-12693619633412_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12693617390827_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12693617913836_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12693618889276_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12693619633412_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12693620359369_thumb.jpgpost-4954-126936210572_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12693621648084_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12693622312954_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12693622754505_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12693623360446_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12693623759901_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12693624274265_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12693625113899_thumb.jpgpost-4954-1269362582787_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12693626324064_thumb.jpg

post-4954-12693616800723_thumb.jpg

Brian,

Thanks for posting this!

For myself, I'm not fond of using or making tongs and do everything I can to keep the metal in my hands for as long as I can. I'm always on the look out for a set that crosses many uses and shapes and yours sure look like they'll fit the bill. I'll definitely be making some of these for my shop.

Thank you!

What sizes are the two pieces of square stock being held in pics 11 and 12 (p3230015.jpg and p3230016.jpg)?

That does not look like a very complex jaw to shape, other than the two jaws differ. Was the starting mass for both jaws similar, just one gets split and the other doesn't?

Phil

Brian.....
I just may have to swing away on a pair with you in December when you are here for your class! Nice!!!!

Also had some farriers here Saturday and two of them tried really hard to steal my/your hammer...

Peyton

Peyton, I didn't see your post till now. I actually forged those by myself, and was finishing them up when LDW got here after work. They were made from 3/4" hex tool steel. You can see the hex profile in the picture with the jaws opened. Tell those farriers they can come see me and make their own hammer.

Thank you!

What sizes are the two pieces of square stock being held in pics 11 and 12 (p3230015.jpg and p3230016.jpg)?

That does not look like a very complex jaw to shape, other than the two jaws differ. Was the starting mass for both jaws similar, just one gets split and the other doesn't?

Phil

Phil, That is 1/2" square stock in pic 11 and 1/2"x1" rectangular in pic 12. I started with 3/4" hex for both halves. I found out a long time ago that it is easier to make different jaws for most my hand made tongs than to try and match them, and they will hold more things. I used a little more length for the V jaw. The smaller jaw was just chiseled a little bit.

Brian...
I will tell them to sign up for your class to possibly make a hammer then learn how to make something with it other than a shoe!!! I may get punched in the face, but it will be well worth it. HA!

Peyton

What do you mean,"possibly make a hammer"? I'm offering personal classes now, and I suggest starting out with making a hammer and finishing it in the first half of the day, and then showing what to do with it in the second half. We can make horseshoes if they want or anything else.

What do you mean,"possibly make a hammer"? I'm offering personal classes now, and I suggest starting out with making a hammer and finishing it in the first half of the day, and then showing what to do with it in the second half. We can make horseshoes if they want or anything else.

that is some very nice looking tongs.
will try to make some or maybe even buy some of grant if/when he makes some.. :)

DC

Brian,
I really like the looks of these tongs. They appear to be on the hefty size. Could you give some more measurements other than 3/4 hex. ie; what length bar you started with, hex bit length etc. I really would like to try and make a set of these. Thanks,t2g

Brian,
I really like the looks of these tongs. They appear to be on the hefty size. Could you give some more measurements other than 3/4 hex. ie; what length bar you started with, hex bit length etc. I really would like to try and make a set of these. Thanks,t2g

I started with about 8 1/2" of 3/4" hex, and the small hex jaw is a little bit longer than 3/4". The V jaw is almost 1 1/2" long.

I like those Brian. It seems to me that a standard crowbar would have the 3/4" hex tool steel needed for at least one pair... maybe a little tough to forge out but cheap and handy. I would sorta like to curve the hex jaw end so that it aligns better at the tip when holding smaller stock. It might be hard to do though as I have forged crow bar stock before and it is pretty stiff stuff! I feel the need for a pair of these tongs and also a pair or two of Mr. Hofi's "Woop Woop" tongs (I like the way they can grip stock along it's length). I am not an enthusiastic tong maker either so it would be nice if Grant would make some of each of these designs for us (hint, hint). I have serviceable tongs but BETTER ones would make my work easier.

I like those Brian. It seems to me that a standard crowbar would have the 3/4" hex tool steel needed for at least one pair... maybe a little tough to forge out but cheap and handy. I would sorta like to curve the hex jaw end so that it aligns better at the tip when holding smaller stock. It might be hard to do though as I have forged crow bar stock before and it is pretty stiff stuff! I feel the need for a pair of these tongs and also a pair or two of Mr. Hofi's "Woop Woop" tongs (I like the way they can grip stock along it's length). I am not an enthusiastic tong maker either so it would be nice if Grant would make some of each of these designs for us (hint, hint). I have serviceable tongs but BETTER ones would make my work easier.

Yes, a crowbar would work, but you can also use coil spring or jackhammer bits. I wanted at least 3/4" for the V-jaw, so I used the hex I had. The 3 point contact is what makes the tongs work with such a wide range of stock, so I wouldn't change that. Also, I forgot to mention that the V- jaw is less than 90 degrees. I never make V-jaws with a 90 degree angle.

I,too, would rather buy a pair of tongs than have to make them.