I Forge Iron

Coal smoke & lungs

TimB

On 11/14/2015, 8:39:12, Forging Carver said:

I have an outdoors forge and sometimes the wind blows the smoke right at me while forging. Should I consider a chimney? Thanks 

My forge is outdoors as well.  I got to where the smoke bothered me so much, despite wind and fans, that I installed a hood and flue pipe.  No more smoke in my face...works wonders even outdoors.

I remember seeing a doco about the year leading up to the Donora Death Fog in 1948. Enveloped the town for 5 days laden with fumes and smoke from the zinc smelters 7000+ hospitalized and with lung damage, it was the beginnings of the clean air act.

these days the worry is the combination of oxidized gasses called secondary organic aerosols and super fine particulate matter (soot). these two given a hour or so will form sticky balls of chemical cocktails that when breathed in will jump across into our bloodstream extremely rapidly. this is the reason there are regulations to try and lower diesel particulates and things like vaporizing solvents in urban areas that are prone to smog.

Forging Carver,  I'm not sure what you have in mind for a chimney on your forge but Look at the New England Blacksmith site here on IFI where I posted some Pictures from the Fall Meet there is a picture or two on forges under a tent with simple chimneys on them.  Easy to build and install it worked great.  I would repost here except I've lost track of where they are at the  moment. 

On 17/11/2015 16:38:09, Forging Carver said:

I am young and dont want to destroy my lungs any time soon. Thanks

I am old and dont want to destroy my lungs any time soon. Thanks.

I noticed some black specks when I spit one day. So I got a Cayenne Chile gaz Forge for my small forge real estate where too much soot went into my lungs. I will still be using the coal forge for welding (welding temperatures are easily accessible with the gaz forge but it is too hot for my hands to get the pieces out) and when I want to heat small amounts of steel.

After a few months away from the coal soot, spits have cleared up.

On November 18, 2015 at 1:49:15 PM, notownkid said:

Forging Carver,  I'm not sure what you have in mind for a chimney on your forge but Look at the New England Blacksmith site here on IFI where I posted some Pictures from the Fall Meet there is a picture or two on forges under a tent with simple chimneys on them.  Easy to build and install it worked great.  I would repost here except I've lost track of where they are at the  moment. 

This is what you mean if I understood correctly. I want to do the same exact thing as this except make it side draft. Thanks 

http://www.iforgeiron.com/uploads/monthly_2015_10/DSCF1109.JPG.20539c443eac1d657c706d16e405693a.JPG

Well I got my 10" diameter spirial seamed duct for US$4 for 10' stick.  The ReStore was getting ready to move and clearing out their duct area; I also picked up a couple of heavy wall sections of stainless, more expensive; but pennies on the dollar compared to new.     Got a place that does building demolition?  Used is fine for us!  Got a place that does major HVAC work?  Used/tearout/damaged/mis-sized/over run is fine for us.  Shoot one time I was at my Dr's office and they were remodeling a building next door and had a 40 yard construction dumpster full of spirial seamed duct work they were trashing...

'