I Forge Iron

Show me your shop!

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a roof and sand on the floor. Right now I got a single burner, commercial made propane forge. I don't tackle big jobs any more and I don't make things for sale. I just pound iron to lower my blood pressure. I have a Lincoln ac/dc buzz box and a wire feed you can't see in these pix.

post-12173-12635080714858_thumb.jpg

post-12173-12635080877502_thumb.jpg

Great shot!!! What camera and lens were used to take that photo David. Looking at upgrading at the moment, to a wide angle lens of some sort.
Thanks, Jason

Jason,
I'm lucky, my wife does all the photography for the business. She is currently using a Canon 40D. She has several lenses for it including a wide angle, but the shot above was taken with the standard lens that came with the camera. I have an ancient Canon G2 that I personally use for job sites and shop progress photos.
-Dave

post-9990-12637895643446_thumb.jpgpost-9990-12637905794599_thumb.jpgpost-9990-12637892620983_thumb.jpg

Jason,

I like that end quite a bit.

Billy

Thanks Billy, its usually the end where I head to. The other stores the car and some other metal and woodworking gear that was my grandfathers.
I really like your shop too. Thats a neat old looking building. I see some newish timber on some of the framing. Did you build it there? What was it used for before the smithy?
Jason

Jason,
My Great Grandfather built it.
It was originally used as a blacksmith shop. Probably used for reparing tools , farm equipment and shoeing horses.
Making things needed around the farm.
He was a land surveyor and school teacher. My grandfather probably mainly used it for shoeing the work horses.
My father remembers the forge that was in it. My grandfather sold it for scrap durning World War 2. I still have the anvil but it's not in very good shape.
Partly because I beat on it when I was a kid!!
The new stuff you see is some repair work that I have done to it. It still needs some but it's hard to find the time, I'd rather
be working (playing) in it than on it. Now if I can just learn to make something instead of wasting metal and coal !
Thanks for asking,
Billy

Beautiful shop Michael. I also recognize the years of hard work that goes into paying for something like that. Well done. Now how about a shot with all the stuff...:P
-DB

Michael,

That is seriously impressive..........

Another photograph of the bike , perhaps? As one motorcycle enthusiast to another.

Kevan

My old shop and my 1948 Pan, My new shop from the business end.

post-2769-12639920444299_thumb.jpg

post-2769-12639920655926_thumb.jpg

Jason,
My Great Grandfather built it.
It was originally used as a blacksmith shop. Probably used for reparing tools , farm equipment and shoeing horses.
Making things needed around the farm.
He was a land surveyor and school teacher. My grandfather probably mainly used it for shoeing the work horses.
My father remembers the forge that was in it. My grandfather sold it for scrap durning World War 2. I still have the anvil but it's not in very good shape.
Partly because I beat on it when I was a kid!!
The new stuff you see is some repair work that I have done to it. It still needs some but it's hard to find the time, I'd rather
be working (playing) in it than on it. Now if I can just learn to make something instead of wasting metal and coal !
Thanks for asking,
Billy

Billy,
I love your shop. That is some serious history you have there. Really nice that you are keeping it going. I've always told myself, it is never about the building, or even the tools that you have (or don't have). It is about always doing the best work that you can with the tools that you have at any given time.

You are just such a tease.
Now that we saw pics of the left side of that beautiful bike you KNOW we won`t leave you alone till we see the right side.
Likewise we need to see more(and closer) pics of the hammer.That looks to be one BIG helve hammer!

Thanks,and keep `em coming.